Military or Commercial Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marty J

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey guys,

I am an active duty service member currently stationed in Sicily, Italy. Also, i am a PADI Divemaster of 7 years.

It has come for me to make a decision in my career, to either get out the military or pursue Commercial Diving. What degree and prerequisites would i need?
I just want to make sure i am prepared and well informed.

I would imagine the military has a better pension and health benefits. That is, of course, if you don't get killed.

I would imagine the military has a better pension and health benefits. That is, of course, if you don't get killed.
100% agreed but sometimes i just don't think the military is for me. I have wanted to be a commercial diver since i was 18 and am kicking myself for not doing it. Do i regret serving? Absolutely not, but its not where I want to be anymore.

In that case, follow your bliss. As Tony Bennett said, "if you love what you do, you never work a day in your life."

I served 8 years in the military and got out. I really enjoyed my time in the service and met a lot of really great people. But in the end, it wasn't for me either. Not as a career, anyway. There is life after the military! Use your GI Bill to get trained in commercial diving if you want and have a great career doing that!

"Commercial diving" covers a lot of ground. Is there some aspect that you are particularly interested in?

Your DM credential are probably irrelevant, as is most/all of your diving experience.
Look at something like Commercial Diving Programs | Divers Institute of Technology for prereqs (few).

"Commercial diving" covers a lot of ground. Is there some aspect that you are particularly interested in?

Your DM credential are probably irrelevant, as is most/all of your diving experience.
Look at something like Commercial Diving Programs | Divers Institute of Technology for prereqs (few).
I am interested in saturation diving. A buddy of mine, already in the field for 2 years recommends that i should get a civil engineering or structural engineering degree before going a commercial diving school. Is there anything more specific then saying civil engineering or structural engineering or is there a recommended course or school aside from commercial diving school?

I served 8 years in the military and got out. I really enjoyed my time in the service and met a lot of really great people. But in the end, it wasn't for me either. Not as a career, anyway. There is life after the military! Use your GI Bill to get trained in commercial diving if you want and have a great career doing that!

Thank you for your service brother and i appreciate the support

100% agreed but sometimes i just don't think the military is for me. I have wanted to be a commercial diver since i was 18 and am kicking myself for not doing it. Do i regret serving? Absolutely not, but its not where I want to be anymore.

I did 6 years and got out, best and worst years of my life lol. Get out and do what you love. Enjoy life. Good luck.

I am interested in saturation diving. A buddy of mine, already in the field for 2 years recommends that i should get a civil engineering or structural engineering degree before going a commercial diving school. Is there anything more specific then saying civil engineering or structural engineering or is there a recommended course or school aside from commercial diving school?
A Commercial Diving School will not turn you into a engineer of any kind. An engineering degree will not turn you into a commercial diver, nor is it a prereq...look at a number of such schools...they publish their prereqs. Be honest with yourself; you will NOT be doing saturation diving for the rest of your career.....so what do you fall back on when that aspect stops?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom