Millbrook Sunday the 9th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoyden

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Anyone else interested in diving at Millbrook on Sunday? VA Scuba is going out there 11-3 according to their website. I'll be diving wet if I go so I expect fairly short dives:). Also, any idea what the water temp will be like?

Jackie

Hi Jackie,

The water temp will be damned cold! Take a jug of lukewarm-to-hot bathtub water with you in a cooler (to keep it warm during the drive). Have your buddy dump it down the back of your neck seal just before you jump in. It will prevent that initial gasp when you first jump in! :) I'd also check the weather. If its a pleasant sunny day, sitting around a campfire after the dive can be pretty nice. If its raining or snowing, you may want to reconsider the dive.

I'm not going to be able to make Millbrook Sunday, but am heading to Mt. Storm on Saturday (weather permitting).

Hope you have an enjoyable day,

Doc

Doc Intrepid:
The water temp will be damned cold! Take a jug of lukewarm-to-hot bathtub water with you in a cooler (to keep it warm during the drive). Have your buddy dump it down the back of your neck seal just before you jump in. It will prevent that initial gasp when you first jump in! :) I'd also check the weather. If its a pleasant sunny day, sitting around a campfire after the dive can be pretty nice. If its raining or snowing, you may want to reconsider the dive.
I did some pretty stupid dives last year using this technique. The problem isn't really being in the water as much as getting out! I was OK during the first dive but wasn't able to warm up enough during the SI so the second dive was -much- more uncomfortable.

cornfed:
I did some pretty stupid dives last year using this technique. The problem isn't really being in the water as much as getting out! I was OK during the first dive but wasn't able to warm up enough during the SI so the second dive was -much- more uncomfortable.

this is also the technique that was used back in the 70s. It goes again the sceince of diving that was taught in rescue.I suggest saving some of that water for the SI and post dive. Bring something warm to drink ( hot tea) and know when you are to cold to dive

P.S I did this for years and I'm still around. Good luck.

Hoyden:
Anyone else interested in diving at Millbrook on Sunday? VA Scuba is going out there 11-3 according to their website. I'll be diving wet if I go so I expect fairly short dives:). Also, any idea what the water temp will be like?

Jackie

Jackie,

Sunday is actually a Chilly Willy Dive by The Dive Shop (http://www.thediveshop-va.com/ 703-698-7220). They are the ones that run Millbrook, the gate keepers. VA Scuba is doing their own thing while the place is open.

It's $20 to do the dive, you just have to call The Dive Shop to register. I might be crazy enough to go, to try it once, especially since it will be around the mid 50's outside temp. The Dive Shop said expect 40-41 degrees at Millbrook. I have been as cold as 50, so I can possibly try 40 in a 7mm.

Pedro

pairizarry:
Jackie,

Sunday is actually a Chilly Willy Dive by The Dive Shop (http://www.thediveshop-va.com/ 703-698-7220). They are the ones that run Millbrook, the gate keepers. VA Scuba is doing their own thing while the place is open.

It's $20 to do the dive, you just have to call The Dive Shop to register. I might be crazy enough to go, to try it once, especially since it will be around the mid 50's outside temp. The Dive Shop said expect 40-41 degrees at Millbrook. I have been as cold as 50, so I can possibly try 40 in a 7mm.

Pedro

Cool- I just saw it listed on VA Scuba's site. I guess I'll be showing up around 12 or so with the VA Scuba crew unless anyone will be there earlier to buddy up with. I don't know how I'll tolerate the cold - I have been fine in Millbrook in the low 50s with no hood so maybe by adding a hood and a little warm water...

Jackie

I'll be there this week-end to freeze my backside also. Can't pass up the chance to get wet! It is supposed to be in the mid 50's on Sunday so it shouldn't be too bad. Oh...bye the bye.....Dry suit! You folks are crazy diving wet!

All,

I just signed up for the Chilly Willy dive ($20) with The Dive Shop (703-698-7220). The gates at Millbrook will only be open from 11 to 11:30 am. So if you want to dive Sunday, you need to be there before the gate closes at 11:30 am. Once there you are a "captive", until 3pm when the gates reopen to let everyone out, so plan accordingly. I believe the Chilly Willy Dive will meet at the Pavillion (Beach 2) area.

I am diving wet, so I am looking for another crazy wetsuit diver as a buddy.

See you there.

Pedro

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom