Missing diver.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On another occasion, I was in a group doing a night dive on Paradise Reef. We were having a good time, drifting with the mild current, and then suddenly things got a little weird. Then we were back to drifting with the current again, only now we were going the other way, drifting over terrain we had already covered. We ended the dive roughly where we had started it.
Had the exact thing happen there in February

The Paradise current switch isn't anything to worry about unless it's going out, it's common. Some nights it goes south, some nights north, some nights it can't decide...

I've seen Tiki bar go from virtually no current to screaming current in less than 5 minutes, another place visiblity from 100'+ to 25' max and who knows what the heck that was....

I've seen what looks like fish feeding on the surface, you see it and can hear it - it moves around. You see flat areas surrounded by chop - that's all current doing something.

The Paradise current switch isn't anything to worry about unless it's going out, it's common. Some nights it goes south, some nights north, some nights it can't decide...

I've seen Tiki bar go from virtually no current to screaming current in less than 5 minutes, another place visiblity from 100'+ to 25' max and who knows what the heck that was....

I've seen what looks like fish feeding on the surface, you see it and can hear it - it moves around. You see flat areas surrounded by chop - that's all current doing something.
Change of tides?

Change of tides?

I can't say that we really have a tide here - yes the water level goes up and down about 20" maybe but I don't see it as tidal related, it happens over long periods of time, greater than 12 hours.

I see it as more wind related, maybe a strong wind pushes a chunk of water in this direction which gets deflected..... These currents they are talking about are on the leeward side of the island.....

Water level is not related to moon phase as far as I can tell with tracking. Crazy currents will happen in specific areas but might move as the day goes on..... Strange things on the surface give you an idea, really strange things just keep you out of that area.

I can't say that we really have a tide here - yes the water level goes up and down about 20" maybe but I don't see it as tidal related, it happens over long periods of time, greater than 12 hours.

I see it as more wind related, maybe a strong wind pushes a chunk of water in this direction which gets deflected..... These currents they are talking about are on the leeward side of the island.....

Water level is not related to moon phase as far as I can tell with tracking. Crazy currents will happen in specific areas but might move as the day goes on..... Strange things on the surface give you an idea, really strange things just keep you out of that area.
Tides are minimal (microtidal) on Cozumel, with a normal range of only about 10 inches (24cm) with high and low tides each occurring twice a day. The highest recorded tide range was 1.6 feet during a spring tide.

Change of tides?
Eddies. The current interacts with the shallow reefs and the shoreline causing unpredictable changes, and I am sure that Chuck is right about the wind effect.
Tides are minimal (microtidal) on Cozumel, with a normal range of only about 10 inches
Really? It seemed like a bigger change when we returned to Hotel Cozumel's pier at low tide.

Putting the question int ChatGPT, we have a fairly good response to the potential cause

"Leeward ocean currents can sometimes be unstable due to a variety of factors, including changes in wind patterns, variations in temperature and salinity, and the influence of nearby ocean currents.

One reason for their instability is that leeward currents are often subject to fluctuations in wind direction and strength. Winds can shift suddenly, which can cause the current to change direction or weaken in intensity. This can make it difficult to predict the behavior of leeward currents, especially over long periods of time.

Another factor that can contribute to the instability of leeward currents is the influence of nearby ocean currents. Ocean currents are interconnected, and changes in one current can affect the behavior of another. For example, if a neighboring current shifts direction or changes in intensity, this can cause a leeward current to become unstable or change direction.

Finally, variations in temperature and salinity can also impact the stability of leeward currents. Changes in water temperature or salinity can affect the density of the water, which can in turn impact the direction and strength of the current.

Overall, the instability of leeward ocean currents can make it challenging to predict their behavior and can have significant implications for marine ecosystems and coastal communities."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom