Mixing & Matching Regulators...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paddler3d

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to get another 1st and 2nd stage...currently dive APEX ATX 100 1st & 2nd stage with and ATX 40 octo.

Basically I want on my 1st stage two quality 2nd stages, either of which I wouldn't mind being my primary. I want to take my current 1st stage, or "new" 1st stage, and put it on a pony with my ATX 40 octo.

Pony tank is required on a lot of the NE dive boats.

If I get another brand other than APEX, am I going to have any problems?

I'm currently eyeballing a ScubaPro MK25/S600 set up and putting the MK25 on the pony, the S600 on my current Apex 1st stage.

I want a quality set up cause I'm building gear towards diving doubles.

Hopefully this wasn't too confusing and looking forward to any feed back.:coffee:

They are all standard sized threads on the 1st stage... an S600 will attach to an APEX 1st stage, or an apex 2nd stage can be used as an octo on a SP Mk25 1st stage.. an octo is just a second stage often yellow in color. There's no rule that says it has to be yellow, or use a yellow hose (if that's the case) :wink:

howarde:
They are all standard sized threads on the 1st stage...

Not necessarily true. Some of the Apex regulators use a larger connection and hose for the primary second stage. This port can be plugged and you can still use the other standard sized low pressure ports for standard 3/8" low pressure hoses.

miesemer:
Not necessarily true. Some of the Apex regulators use a larger connection and hose for the primary second stage. This port can be plugged and you can still use the other standard sized low pressure ports for standard 3/8" low pressure hoses.
which means?

It can still be done with no worries.

howarde:
which means?

It can still be done with no worries.

No hidden agenda...

I was purely stating a fact that sometimes needs consideration (i.e. a new low pressure hose and a 1/2" port plug) when swapping regs with an Apex first stage depending on how you swap them.

I have a few FrankenRegs. They have done well in service.

Frankenreg...that is a good one.

To summarize providing everything threads...1/2 to 3/8...it is fine and acepted practice!

Thank you all!

cgd

BTW, don't mix Posiedon First stages with ANYTHING ELSE. Different beasts (up-stream) and you could hurt yourself.

NetDoc:
BTW, don't mix Posiedon First stages with ANYTHING ELSE. Different beasts (up-stream) and you could hurt yourself.

That's only for the Jetstream/Cyclon firsts, though, right? I'm pretty sure the XStream first is OK with non-Poseidon seconds (I'm using a non-Poseidon 2nd as a backup now).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom