Mk10 bastard rig? Or a variant I've never seen? ID help, please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingler

Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Was servicing two Mk10/G250 sets for my dive shop this week and ran across a Mk 10 that I'd never seen before. I need someone's help in determining if this is a bastard rig with a HP seat carrier from another brand, or a Scubapro Mk10 variant that I've never seen before.

The carrier held a SP Mk25 seat, and had a shim similar to the shim used on the current Mk25. The holder had a satin chrome finish, as opposed to the polished chrome of the original Mk10 body, so it was obviously a later modification.

The piston was a later model than the original Mk10, with a rounded sealing rim as opposed to the original knife edge, and the diameter was slightly enlarged, similar to later perfectly balanced or even overbalanced pistons.

Does anybody recognize this?

Rob

20160106_195445.jpg

yep, 10+ (those are all the correct parts for it)

that satin seat carrier is the indicator without having to take it apart.....

edit: an interesting note is the seat is exceptionally hard compared to the 10. There was a study by SP that showed no imprinting despite some ridiculous number of cycles - almost "indefinite life".

Of course. Duh!
First one I've seen. Thanks.

Scubapro Part number on HP seat is same as current Mk25 seat.
Piston looks nice! I remember reading about their bad rap, but I have to say, this was a nice design. What were the problems? Anybody who was repairing back then can speak from experience?

Rob

Scubapro had problems with seat materials on the Mk 15 as well as the Mk 10 Plus. With the Mk 10 Plus it was common for the intermediate pressure to start creeping about half way through the season for an active diver.

After a few years Scubapro worked out the problems and the new seat materials held up exceptionally well.

I have several Mk 10s that I've upgraded to Mk 10 Plus status that I use as stage and deco regs, and they are basically bullet proof.

Delete. Thanks, DA

for the record, Couv educated me on the MK-10+ just a few days ago.....

not sure where I read about the durability - think it was a bulletin....

I'm looking for 2 MK10+ conversion kits if anyone has any.

I might have some seats and bushings, but I don't think I have a seat carrier or piston.

Rh....I wasn't going to tell :)

it was just so ironic to have gone through this just days before.....

Back
Top Bottom