mk2 s.p.e.c.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dinogep

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have acquired a version of mk2 that has only very small holes on the ambient chamber. As far as I know, this design was for keeping the silicone in, but since I don't plan to fill it with silicone, the only effect of the small holes is that it is harder to rinse the reg. I plan to drill up these holes to the "normal" size. Is there any consideration why I shouldn't?

Smaller holes also keep out bigger chunks. I have a few regs with the smaller holes and thought about drilling them out. In the end I decided that the benefit was little to nil. I rinse my regs after a day of diving and soak them at the end of the trip. Rinsing usually means a dunk and the added effort dealing with the small holes is minimal. And they have no effect on the soaking as my soaks last long enough to remove salt from much tighter places than the ambient chamber like the threaded connection of the ambient chamber to the body or, on most models, the yoke/din retainer threads.

If you decide to drill them out, make sure to clean out the metal filings so they don't get into o-ring seals on the piston.

You'd also be removing the chrome plating allowing easier corrosion of the brass.

Back
Top Bottom