mobile connection in raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_masked_diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello. I´m traveling to a live aboard to Raja Ampat but I need to work a little bit. Just read some emails so the internet coneection hasn't to be very good. But I'd like to know if I'll have some signal. The boat has no WIFI.

The itinerary is
Northern Section: Wayag, Kawe, Aljui Bay
Central Section: Gam, Penemu, Arborek, Cape Kri Area/Dampier Strait
Southern Section: Daram, Wayilbatan, Fiabacet, Pelee

Thank you

Best regards

Once you are in Indonesia get a Telkomsel (the only reliable data network in Raja Ampat area) prepaid sim card, and you will be ok. You will NOT get data everywhere, but in most areas you will get good enough coverage for basic stuff. Prices should be few euros (less than 10) for several GBs of data.

You have to be a bit careful with data quota. There are sim cards with large amounts of data quota that can be used only locally (i.e. around the area you buy the card - they call this "local data" or something like this) and some other (slightly more expensive) prepaid sim cards with less quota which nevertheless you can use throughout Indonesia. If you stay only in Raja Ampat, don't worry - any of them will do, but if you plan to move within Indonesia (eg to Bali, Komodo or other islands) make sure you get the second kind (with national coverage). Otherwise you will have to top up "local data" everywhere you go. Not much money, but it is a waste and it can be incovenient...

Even with a Telkomsel card you will have limited connection in Raja Ampat. There are a couple anchorages that have some signal but it goes in and out and sometimes only enough for WhatsApp messages to go out. Every time I go back it gets better but still only a few places. You might want to consider a sat phone if you need email throughout your trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom