Moisture munchers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaLife does not recommend trying to rejuvinate capsules. Once they are pink, they should not be used again. We recently made an upgrade to the SL911 packaging to better protect the capsules. The new packaging now comes with an expiration date (one year).

Here's what the new, improved SL911s should look like:

Last edited:
See my response to Denise.

I've been using a 5340s in a DC-500 housing for over a year. In fact I have been rotating 2 5340s cameras and a DC-500 camera between 2 DC-500 cases and have never had a problem and can't tell which pictures were taken with which camera.

I saw the new packaging, hate it. Cannot see the color of the tubes without opening the package. :mad:

I have a package of 10 new blue ones and an old package of 3 lilac colored ones. I took one out and sit it in front of a humidifier I have running as our air here is often so dry. I guess I shouldn't run it when I am running the AC, tho; maybe I'll store it after this test until winter. Anyway, I'll take a pic of it when it turns pink, then another if I can get it to turn in the microwave later. I am NOT turning my oven on.

The capsules cannot be rejuvinated. Once they are pink, they should not be used again. We recently made an upgrade to the SL911 packaging to better protect the capsules. The new packaging now comes with an expiration date (one year).

You know SeaLife is beginning to sound like ScubaPro and Aqualung.

I'm beginning to have second thoughts about the DC-800 I just ordered from ScubaToys.

I know companies are in business to sell stuff - but some of the things they say are just plain, obvious mis-truths.

Why not say "SeaLife does not recommend rejuvenating capsuls" but saying "they cannot be rejuvenated" is just a boldface lie, since it has been done successfully, many, many times. We use this same technique for rejuvenating similar moisture protecting systems for use in high end electronics - that's where I learned the trick.

The blue, round munchers can be rejuvinated by placing them in an oven set to 170 F

I do it whenever I need to rejuvinate them. I haven't lost one yet.

Good to see the clarifications and many get confused on the two kinds. I see divers posting on MMunchers but not saying which kind, and I have seen the large ones used in housings only to cause problems: at best they get in the way of controls; at worst they get in the way of the O-ring and cause a leak - and they don't soak up leaks.

I'm beginning to have second thoughts about the DC-800 I just ordered from ScubaToys.

I know companies are in business to sell stuff - but some of the things they say are just plain, obvious mis-truths.

Why not say "SeaLife does not recommend rejuvenating capsuls" but saying "they cannot be rejuvenated" is just a boldface lie, since it has been done successfully, many, many times. We use this same technique for rejuvenating similar moisture protecting systems for use in high end electronics - that's where I learned the trick.
I wonder why so many of our Manufacturer Reps don't post more often...? :D

DAN has not posted in their forum since I asked them if their Trip Insurance was really that bad?

Edited my answer above for you. :)

We used to recommend it years ago until we got numerous complaints/emails/phone calls of the plastic melting and very few had success, therefore we do not recommend it any longer due to our findings in customer suggestions.

Edited my answer for you. :)
:lol:​
Denise is cool. :thumb: I may not always agree, but you have to appreciate her position too. She has been extremely helpful even tho at times perhaps she has to post against some of our ideas. :cool:

And she is a diver, even tho new. When I had a problem with fogging and called in to talk with the Tech (Karl?), he was very nice, but has never dived. I do not suggest a camera to anyone with less than 50-100 dives, even tho it's done, but maybe she can get some dive & shoot experiences soon - and not get tired of talking to us. :eyebrow:

I don't doubt that trying to rejuvenate in the oven has some obvious potential problems. The controls on most ovens are plus/minus 25 degrees (at best) - so melting is a strong probability - even slight melting can result in reduced area for the moisture to be "sucked" through.

But rejuvenating using the "Damp Rid" method does not present any chance of melting/deforming the tube - it just does in reverse what the Moisture Muncher does - moves the moisture to a much more powerful desiccant system. No danger to the performance.

I appreciate your revised response.

By the way, I have never had anything but great things to say about SeaLife Support. they have been great to work with in the past and hope that continues.

:lol:​
Denise is cool. :thumb: I may not always agree, but you have to appreciate her position too. She has been extremely helpful even tho at times perhaps she has to post against some of our ideas. :cool:

And she is a diver, even tho new. When I had a problem with fogging and called in to talk with the Tech (Karl?), he was very nice, but has never dived. I do not suggest a camera to anyone with less than 50-100 dives, even tho it's done, but maybe she can get some dive & shoot experiences soon - and not get tired of talking to us. :eyebrow:

Thanks Don! :)

Yes, I recently got certified and got to use the DC800 in St. Lucia. One of my pictures even made it to the SeaLife DC800 photo gallery :wink:

Karl actually is certifed now as well.

Back
Top Bottom