Moisture munchers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I do agree that Calcium Chloride can be slightly corrosive, I also know that I have been doing this for about 5 years and have not seen any problems with corrosion.
Although I have upgraded my camera a couple of times, I am still using my original strobe and have seen no sign of corrosion (it gets a MM for each dive).

I wipe my MMs down to remove any powder when I move them from the DampRid container to the small Zip Lock Bags and then put the bags into a larger bag that has some DampRid in it for travel.

You probably have a greater chance of destroying your camera with flooding than from corrosion from the DampRid on the MMs. :wink:

TN Traveller is right the Damp Rid works amazingly well. It comes in a resealable bag now and I just throw the munchers in it...reseal and take them out when I need them. Thanks for the info.

+1
Started using this trick.
Works awesome. My take on it is that I buy the DampRid sachets which come self contained in a little packet. White powder does not go everywhere. I throw the small satchet in the bottom of a mason jar and throw the mucnher caplets in.
Come dive time a week later, they are nice and blue.. almost purple.
There is a way to rejuvenate Moisture Munchers.

1. Go to Home Depot and buy a container of "Damp Rid" - the small size, about a pint.
2. Open it up and insert your spent Moisture Munchers into the white material.
3. Put a piece of plastic wrap across the top and put the lid back on.
4. Put the container inside a big ziplock plastic bag (gallon size works best)
5. Let them sit for about a week or until you need them - pull them out and put them back into the bag they came out of. They will be DARK blue.

Steps 3 and 4 are necessary to preserve the Damp Rid - if you don't do it, the Damp Rid will suck moisture out of the air and be bad in a couple of weeks. Even though I think it can be rejuvenated in the oven - but I've never tried it.

I've probably rejuvenated 15 Moisture Munchers about 10 times each this way using the same container of Damp Rid - total cost about $5. And I've never seen even brand new Moisture Munchers this blue.

PS - DandyDon - have you ever tried upgrading the "firmware" on your Vivitar 5340s?

It is so easy to bake tham in oven for about 6 hours on 180degrees. Have used mine for years.

I do both these days. I store them in the Damp rid, and on a trip, restore them quickly in an oven. Several tools to do the same job, depending on the need at the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom