Mola Molas on the Rigs [HD Video]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, that is a great video. One of these days I am going to do an oil rig dive. Was any of the video at the 55 ft crossbeam? I am not a tech diver, so I was wondering what I would be able to see at a shallower depth. Only a few minutes at 90' for me.

Rainer used some creative license with the sequence, but yes, a good portion of the video was at that level. Somewhere around minute 2 you see us ascend through the next shallower cross beams.

You'll see much the same stuff. As was mentioned in the OP, sometimes the visibility is better deep, but other times its better shallow.

Super video... I have not dove the west coast as of yet but I do have an invite to dive the kelp beds so hopefully within the year! Its the first time I have seen video of the Mola's but have never really taken the time to look them up... I hope I am fortunate someday to see them myself!

Thanks again, lee

Wow, that is a great video. One of these days I am going to do an oil rig dive. Was any of the video at the 55 ft crossbeam? I am not a tech diver, so I was wondering what I would be able to see at a shallower depth. Only a few minutes at 90' for me.

As Blackwood notes, mush of the footage is from around the first crossbeam. When the vis is decent shallow, this is often the prettiest area. Thanks for watching!

Beautiful. I wonder why they appeared in our area all of the sudden.

Was psyched to read your report about them being in Laguna. Seems like we are seeing them up and down the coast right now.

Rainer used some creative license with the sequence, but yes, a good portion of the video was at that level. Somewhere around minute 2 you see us ascend through the next shallower cross beams.

You'll see much the same stuff. As was mentioned in the OP, sometimes the visibility is better deep, but other times its better shallow.

It's actually pretty faithful to the real temporal order of the dive. Vis can be nicer deeper, but the best life is in the top 60'.

how wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

Really appreciate you posting!

Super video... I have not dove the west coast as of yet but I do have an invite to dive the kelp beds so hopefully within the year! Its the first time I have seen video of the Mola's but have never really taken the time to look them up... I hope I am fortunate someday to see them myself!

Thanks again, lee

The kelp beds out here are magical. You're going to have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom