Moldy Zeagle Ranger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grassyknoll:
In the Zeagle owner's manual it mentions that the "shelf life" of their BC is 7 years:confused: . So I'm wondering what the reality is, mine is at least 5 years old and looks almost new, ...?
That is the "storage" shelf life. If you were to pack it up and not use it for 7+ years, the inner bladder will get brittle from dis-use. Same for the corrugated inflator hose. There are also issues with the o-rings and such inside the inflator mechanism. Using it actually helps keep it in condition.

BTW, the inner bladder and hoses are both pretty easy to replace.
more BTW, it's not just Zeagle. The general storage life of any BC is 7 years.

If it helps any I have a 12year old Ranger on the way. I bought it for the bladder but from the pics the rest of the BC looks great. This guy used it for doubles so the harness has gotten a bit of a work out.
He sent it back to Zeagle for a corrugated hose replacement and they replaced the entire bladder. Good for me since I got it for $150. :D

I would agree that it is probably an escape clause. Most everyone does it these days.

Escape clause for rubber o-rings dry rotting.

CatFishBob:
That is the "storage" shelf life. If you were to pack it up and not use it for 7+ years, the inner bladder will get brittle from dis-use. Same for the corrugated inflator hose. There are also issues with the o-rings and such inside the inflator mechanism. Using it actually helps keep it in condition.

BTW, the inner bladder and hoses are both pretty easy to replace.
more BTW, it's not just Zeagle. The general storage life of any BC is 7 years.

Couldn't have said it better myself...thanks guys!!!

:)

Thanks for all the replies, I guess I'll just have to face the fact that the smell eminating from my Ranges has nothing to do with an expiration date but rather, ahem, personal hygiene.....:wink:

grassyknoll:
Thanks for all the replies, I guess I'll just have to face the fact that the smell eminating from my Ranges has nothing to do with an expiration date but rather, ahem, personal hygiene.....:wink:

Go get it wet. Even if it doesn't get any better at least you won't have to smell it. :D

If you have mold growing in your Ranger, wouldn't it be prudent to put a little bleach/water mix in it and try to kill the mold? Or would that damage the bladder?

Should be all right to add a bit of bleach. No worse than diving in a pool.

crpntr133:
Should be all right to add a bit of bleach. No worse than diving in a pool.
Well, if that's case, might as well add a little pee to it while you're at it: :D

james croft:
Well, if that's case, might as well add a little pee to it while you're at it: :D

To each his own.

Back
Top Bottom