Molokai via Maui in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BDub

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just booked another 2 week trip to Maui in early March!

We're planning on doing a couple of 3 Tanks with Ed Robinson's as usual, as well as 1 or 2 trips to Lanai. We'd also like to do Molokai...I know we have the option of taking a jumper over to Molokai. I also know the Maui based ops will head over to Molokai instead of Lanai if weather permits, which isn't often.

Does anyone know how the month of March typically is as far as weather conditions for getting to Molokai? Are there certain months where the ops are typically able to make it over to Molokai over others?

Thanks!

Brian

last i was in maui, during the month of may a few years back,
the shop i dove with made the decision the night before to divert
the back wall dive to molokai. they had said the passage is only
doable one or twice a year. i wouldn't count on it if i were you.
did someone tell you about the hammerheads over there? :D

Wingnut, check with Extended Horizons.

-Chris

BTW "back wall" of Molokai??? I've done dives on the back wall of Molokini but what the heck is the back wall of Molokai? Was that a double mix up or is there actually such a place?

-Chris

XJae:
the back wall dive to molokai.

???

I've done the Back Wall of Molokini but what's the back wall of Molokai?

-Chris

CALI68:
???

I've done the Back Wall of Molokini but what's the back wall of Molokai?

-Chris
no, they redirected the boat going to "the back wall" of molokini to molokai.

XJae:
no, they redirected the boat going to "the back wall" of molokini to molokai.

..and you got on that charter? Lucky!

So the original plan was to go to Molokini and they decided to hit Molokai instead. What a score!

How was it?

-Chris

The only spot on Molokai that the Maui boats would consider visiting was Rock Point near Halawa on the far eastern tip of the island. The section of coastline east from Kalaupapa is some of the most gorgeous scenery anywhere but divable too rarely to be able to plan on visiting it. From Oahu, I only made it as far as Kamalo on the south shore and Moomomi Beach on the north shore - those were the limits of my onboard fuel plus another 30 in cans strapped in the stern.
I never ran across anyone, even from Molokai, who ever dived the cliff coast - but those waters would have to be magical.

Thanks for the info... Cali, I've contacted EH in past trips re: Molokai and they gave me the usual answer of "if conditions permit...", which I completely understand.

Xjae, you really lucked out on that one...score!

CALI68:
..and you got on that charter? Lucky!

So the original plan was to go to Molokini and they decided to hit Molokai instead. What a score!

How was it?

-Chris

yeah, i am usually very lucky or very unlucky. not much in between.
yesterday, for example, very unlucky off the coast of nj. the seas were relentless.

the original plan was molokini and it was switched the night before to molokai. i guess when the stars align, you go with it.

i'm not sure where off molokai we went, but the objective was to see hammerheads. they must have known where to go because we found one.

btw, i rarely post about hawaii anymore because i've apparently had a few trips that were above average. i.e. i've always saw manta's off kona, no rain on haleakala, no crowd at hanauma bay, flowing lava, etc, etc. i probably never go back because of the high probability that my luck will flip and it would be a major disappointment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom