Monoplace seizure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flop, flop, flipity, flop, flop.......

sorry, feeling a little cynical today.

They would start an immediate assent, 60 fpm. and flush the chamber with air if they have that capability.

No worries. I was actually thinking the same. Don't you think that the actual shape of the monoplace chamber was chosen to be able to roll it and manage the airways?
Sorry, cynical myself.

60ft/min ascent during breath holding???...mmmmm, yammie!

I guess it depends on the individual chambers protocol but, chambers I have worked removed the patient from O2 (in a mono-place flushing the chamber with air) waited for the symptoms to subside, then traveled.

if nothing else, they aught to be well oxygenated for at least a couple of minutes. So it's probobly worth waiting until they're through seizing.

cmay:
flop, flop, flipity, flop, flop.......

sorry, feeling a little cynical today.

They would start an immediate assent, 60 fpm. and flush the chamber with air if they have that capability.

Nice description - very graphical. :eyebrow:

But seriously, is the ascent necessary?
Why not just change the mix in the mask?

Or is it normal in some monoplace chambers to fill the whole chamber with O2?
The only one I saw still used a Full Face Mask and there was a sensor to check for O2 mask leakage into the chamber.

rmediver2002:
I guess it depends on the individual chambers protocol but, chambers I have worked removed the patient from O2 (in a mono-place flushing the chamber with air) waited for the symptoms to subside, then traveled.

:11: How long did it take to flush the O2 low enough to stop the seizure? I know it depends on the size of the chamber, pressure (well that's usually 60 ft max in monoplace isn't it) and venting flow rates, but how long it took in chambers you worked with? Any head injuries from convulsing?

Best call JMHO Mono place should not be using O2 or mix in my opinion. BUT......I have never worked a Mono tube. Protocol would not allow 100%O2 @ >60fsw so....and it takes only seconds to flush a chamber.

really the only Mono should be a FARC any other should be Medicinal use and only go to 45FSW but in a pinch....

Most mono's pressureize with o2. multi usually pressurize with air and use masks to devever o2

Back
Top Bottom