Monterey Pics 11-4-06 Shale Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry

Was this a shore dive? I would kill to see a spanish shawl. How deep were you? I love nudibranchs and photographing them.

We saw a few molas at Great Pinnacle, Point Lobos on Saturday. One was pretty big, I'd guess 5ft from fin to fin. The others were smaller. They all still had their fins on. The Sea Lions eat the fins by grabbing on to one, then flipping the poor things around like frisbees.

I've seen a few Spanish Shawls at Ballbuster, but it's definitely not a shore dive, nor shallow.

Thanks for all the nice words, all. Dannobee, I 'd love to see a big one like that. I think everything is bigger at Lobos, because they know if they stay in the boundaries, the hunters can't get them. I swear, I've seen lings twice the size of any in Monterey and I saw a Sheepshead bigger than any I saw on Catalina there. (Might be the proximity to DEEP water, too.)

USPAP, this was a boat dive at about 45 feet, but there are plenty of nudies to be found on shore dives in Monterey. I've seen Spanish shawls off McAbee beach and in Stillwater Cove in Carmel, which can be done as a shore dive. Usually, the nudies aren't in too close though because they get washed around by the surge. Typically you'll see them in the rocks and kelp at about 40-50 feet, about a hundred yards offshore. I've seen a few at the end of the Breakwater, though.

Kapula, that's actually a very small hand belonging to a dive buddy, Cindy, who was aboard our boat on Saturday and was kind enough to find not one but two Spanish shawls for me as well as first pointing out the Mola Molas. I tend to get tunnel vision when I'm diving, plus I get more farsighted the older I get and I'm red/green colorblind. My wife is my usual spotter. She's pointed out Cabezons on Kelp covered rocks and pipes, etc. and I've been so blind to them I've almost put my hand on top of them trying to see what she's pointing out. That particular Spanish Shawl was the bigger of the two that day at about an inch long. Almost all the other pictures of it, including the one I got of it swimming-it's really cool, they fold in half and squirt-were out of focus. I need a close up lens so I don't have to get the camera an inch from the subject!

Back
Top Bottom