Moose & Max DEMA 2007 Spectrum Diving Equipment Inc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max

Registered
Reaction score
At this booth we talked to Dennis Kaleta, President of Spectrum diving about his updated product design for his Auto reel. Dennis has taken feedback from the dive community and some of Scubaboard membership to update the design for a reel system.

Spectrum Diving's new design incorporates a no gear reel, sealed motor compartment, line leveling and tensioning system, adjustable spool drag, and firm line lock. Operating similar to a casting reel, and designed to keep the slack out of the line, the Autoreeler reduces line tangle and allows you to focus on your dive. For the first time you can do away with the hassles of using a flag.

The Autoreeler is electric motor driven and Spectrum Diving will be offering a maintenance option to clean your Autoreeler and replace seals.

Spectrum Diving advertises that the Autoreeler connects to a standard D-ring on your BC. Just tighten the spool drag and turn the unit on. The Autoreeler will automaticaly let line out and wind in as needed. The Autoreeler will be shipping in 2q2008.

The unit comes in a manual version called The Reeler, shipping in Nov 2007.

Spectrum Diving is looking for dive shops and retailers interested in their product.

See the product at Spectrum Diving Equipment, Inc.

DSC_35250001.JPG

DSC_35280001.JPG

pic11.jpg

I stopped by their booth on Friday. After all, they are one of our advertisers and I am not at all familiar with their products.

First off, I was impressed with the quality of the machining and the overall fit and finish of the reels. Non-metal reels usually give me the willies, and these seemed to be built TOUGH!

Second, I was way impressed with the innovation. These are truly level wind reels and there is sufficient tension to stop any free spinning (tangles). I can see these features chipping away at task loading as you won't have to pay nearly as much attention to how you spool out line, concentrating more on line direction and situational awareness.

I was less impressed with the electric rewind, but that may change if/when I get to dive one. This is one of those things you have to dive to see how they will actually fare underwater.

NetDoc,
I'm glad you like the manual reel. I just wanted to mention that the finished reels will be injection molded out of Acetal, the same material used in the machined prototypes at the show.

We need to get H2Andy to test dive one of your reels! :D His birdnests are legendary!

In actuality, I liked both of them, but I would trust the manual one more until I was used to the electric version.

We could get together sometime and show what the Autoreeler (and Reeler) can do under the water.

Maybe even have a couple people who would be interested in them?

We should definitely arrange a "dive day" at one of the springs down here. It would be a good place to have a number of divers check them out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom