moray eels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fina once bubbled...
The Giant Moray is much bigger than the Green Moray.
It grows to about 2.5m (8 feet)
I think it's the biggest.

Sorry, but I never heard of a "Giant" Moray. Is it native to Australia waters? Do you have a pic. of it? I would like to see that one.

Barracuda2

When diving at Darwin Island in the Galapagos “sit” on any of the ledges. After a few minutes of remaining stationary, we had free-swimming morays all over us…literally. They we mostly spotted morays and it was so cool seeing them out during the day.

I also saw a huge green moray free-swimming in Bonaire moving from one hole to another…way cool.

Green morays have been reported to get as long as 7.5'.

There is also another eel called the Longtail Moray ie Strophidon Sathete that gets to a max of 12.2 ft.

MantaRey,

A 30 gallon tank is way to small for a zebra. Zebra's can grow to about 5'. To keep one for it's entire lifespan look into a 125 or bigger.

I have seen them swimming in the open on a night dive in Hawaii as well. Just down the beach from black rock at the old airport beach.

The largest green Moray on record is, I believe 10'

The best Moray for a tank is the Snowflake, which gets to be about 40", and is beautiful, besides.

I agree that the best eel for a beginner is the snowflake, but keep in mind even a snowflake will get to big for a 30 gallon tank. They grow extremly fast.

it's used to being fed. If that's the case, the I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS METHOD way is to wiggle a finger a few inches away...with their bad eyesight, they'll often come out of the hole a foot or so. Of course, since they think your finger might be a hotdog or whatever junk they're used to being fed, there's the obvious danger if your reflexes are slow or you get distracted. Again, it's not something I recommend. I have a photo of this being done...but the photo is only on my computer & not online...send me an email if you'd like to see it.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, this should answer the feeding a moray issue:
eye2eye.htm

Also, the comment about morays having bad eye sight is correct. One of our divers was bitten when he didn't let go of the meat he was holding while the moray was nibbling on a hand-out.

Having fed dozens of eels, I can attest to the fact that they were not aggressive, but that caution is advised because they often can't distinguish hand-outs from the hand!

And, naturally, don't try this at home....:)

Maybe you could get your buddy to tie a piece of food onto a long string and make it go towards the opening of the hole and slowly pull it back so it lures the eel out. You both would be out of harms way and you could get the pic.

thanks for the info...about the tank thing, I've heard that morays tend to grow really slow when kept in captivity, can anyone confirm this? I do have a 65 gallon tank in one room, currently fresh water, but eventually I make it salt...one day...so if it does grow, I could put it in there. and plus even if it does outgrow that, it would be a great excuse to get a 125+ :-D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom