Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi All, New to the forum, off today and was browsing EBay and ran across what the Seller is calling a Mordem Trevatato Pistol type Speargun. I have come up with next to nothing as far as info on this weapon, anybody out there know any history etc. Cool looking piece fired by blank cartridges. Schenzai from Sunny Southern Cal......

This is a very rare version of a very rare speargun.
The Mordem was available for only a few years in the 60's and it came in this pistol version and a rifle model too.
It was very unique since it used an actual gunpowder cartridge to fire.
Maintenance was very high and parts hard to come by.
Contrary to what the eBay listing says, this Mordem pistol was NOT used in any Sea Hunt episode.
It is however very rare. If you are a speargun collector, this would be quite a coup to obtain.
The rifle version was used in Sea Hunt and can be seen on one of the Sea Hunt comic book covers as well as in some Sea Hunt promotional photos.
An indication of the rarity of this gun is that we know of only 4 of the rifle models in existence, and it was the more common one.
I believe mine from my Sea Hunt collection is the best.
It's in near-new condition, perfect working order and I even have some cartridges for it. Cartridges are, for all intents, non-existent!
Mine was acquired from the Scuba Legend Sam Miller of California, a gift of friendship that makes it even more special.

Thanks Seahunter! Pretty Cool Looking Guns, was able to track down some images of the rifle type but none of the pistol variety....Learn something new every day.....

This is a very rare version of a very rare speargun.
The Mordem was available for only a few years in the 60's and it came in this pistol version and a rifle model too.
It was very unique since it used an actual gunpowder cartridge to fire.
Maintenance was very high and parts hard to come by.
Contrary to what the eBay listing says, this Mordem pistol was NOT used in any Sea Hunt episode.
It is however very rare. If you are a speargun collector, this would be quite a coup to obtain.
The rifle version was used in Sea Hunt and can be seen on one of the Sea Hunt comic book covers as well as in some Sea Hunt promotional photos.
An indication of the rarity of this gun is that we know of only 4 of the rifle models in existence, and it was the more common one.
I believe mine from my Sea Hunt collection is the best.
It's in near-new condition, perfect working order and I even have some cartridges for it. Cartridges are, for all intents, non-existent!
Mine was acquired from the Scuba Legend Sam Miller of California, a gift of friendship that makes it even more special.
Hello Alex it went to a good home.Mine.

Mike,
Long time since you posted...Glad you are back

I was following it long before the OP posted and I informed Alex about it an he posted here on SB

It was missing some very important parts- at this point impossible to duplicate- which will diminish its value

How much did you pay for it ?

SDM

A little more than half the starting price. parts.I saw the homemade charging pin.I don,t think that model had a rubberized handle.The plastic piece on the end of barrel is missing also.

I also picked up last week from a collector friend a vintage speargun pistol.That uses real 22.ciber bullets.The Sper gun.One was on ebay about a month ago.Rare also.

@Mike Lev, @Dano

Mike, Mike...
All Mordems had a rubber handle and a rubber line rest -- Theses parts at critical in having a 10 point gun and will be impossible to locate at this date. The only complete Mordem remaining in this world is owned by Alex -- I recall he displayed and discussed it on his web site program. Take a look...

I suspect there is no way of duplication these parts at this time.

the SperGun was produced in Miami Florida in about 1957- It never was a mainstream gun few were produced and the company folded almost immediately. Florida was long known for spear fishermen who were deadly with slings. In the history of Spear guns Florida only produced a series of guns worth collecting identified as BoLo guns, all based on California developed guns . The came on the market in 1954 and departed in 1954

Both your guns are what would be considered novelties and ancillary in the development of Spear guns. Therefore to a Spear gun collector would have minimum value only as a wall hanging dust collecting novelty .

That should provide you with a huge hint why they sold so cheap-- there was no interest by the major gun collectors

Like the guns of the old west they must have a reputation and some sort of name and romance associated with the gun..Alex's Mordem is featured on the cover of a Sea Hunt Comic book being held by good ole Mike Nelson -- It has value lots of value $$$$- it is the last known complete Mordem

The prime example of reputation and romance is the Bottom Scratcher gun designed and developed by Wally Potts in San Diego in 1939. Only 120 were made;: last count at the 2000 Fathers of Free Diving and Spearfishing only a hand full remain. The last one sold on E bay about 10 years ago by a widow of one of the Fathers for 2500 Yankee dollars

I have mine, which I used for 60 years and shot a lot of fish with it and a buddy's who after being aggressively chased by a shark at night decided fresh speared fish and sea food was no longer a priority for him and a day later in 1960 sold me his Bottom Scratcher gun...so I have two Bottom Scratcher guns setting next to my computer at arms length --just in case a WSB jumps out of the Pacific ocean swims 600 feet up a hill and is with in popping distance.

After my DOC (Date of Croaking ) they will be handed down to Son Sam IV for his den

Now these are guns have a reputation and romance and are increasing in value by the second,

so Mike govern what you collect- or you will end up with a huge junk pile

Cheers from SoCal -- where it all began

SAM Miller, 111

A gun like alex,was sold on ebay about ten years sgo.it was a buy it now for $400.I told the seller they could have gotten mire for it.They didn,t care.it wrnt cheap be suse the pig relisted it.someone told him it wad rare ect.no one wanted to bid the $500 starting price inuding myself.vintage scuba gear is not bringing what it used to ten years ago.a nice vinking sold for $800 ,,ten years ago they sold for $2000.I am happy with.my find.Maybe another will show up.if so I,ll let you lnow.

No quite certain your point...

Suggest that you might want to visit the current thread on Catalina museum and note my comments on dive Junk!

There is a fine line between diving junk and diving treasure

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom