More DIR Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Might check with the manufacturer if this is a serious concern for you (and I do understand the reasoning). Apeks at least makes reg covers of varying colors that you could change out... its very likely there is one available for the R190 as well.

...in fact, on a short journey through scubapro.com, they actually feature the R190 with a black face, it should be fairly easy to order one through a scubapro dealer.

jeff

O-ring: Do you ever do any diving at Lake Rawlings Virginia? I was just there Sunday.

O-ring: Do you ever do any diving at Lake Rawlings Virginia? I was just there Sunday.

Funny you should ask, I was there Sunday as well. My buddy and I had come from a couple dives off VA Beach (Saturday) to meet another guy from the board (Tombiowami) to test out his Halcyon HID. We did a night dive Sat. night (around 11 pm) and then camped out. We met another guy from one of the local dive clubs up here who was testing out a set of doubles and did a dive Sunday morning. Maybe you saw us...we were on a big green tarp in the shade right near the entry point. We only did one dive...probably around 10 am or so and then we left.

Yep, I remember seeing you guys there. I asked someone in your group about where to take a DIR class...some where in Raleigh right? I wish I could have hung around and asked some more questions but I had a class to move along. Maybe I'll see you guys around later. Once I get my DIR setup complete, I wouldn't mind meeting you all for a dive.

At no point did I say, I used the Inspiration solo or cave dive using the Inspiration

For a start the turtle wouldn't fit in where I dive caves. I use different kits for diferent dives. (A very none DIR idea)

Personally I also think that those that dive solo on a rebreather are dicing with death. On OC all the failure modes give me some warning while I'm still conscious and able to fix it. On the rebreather most mean I'm unconcious, so I take along a spare breain and body (ie a buddy) to deal with it

I prefer buddy diving. Its just that in most UK caves you physically cant fit 2 people in so you get no choice

Yep, I remember seeing you guys there. I asked someone in your group about where to take a DIR class...some where in Raleigh right? I wish I could have hung around and asked some more questions but I had a class to move along. Maybe I'll see you guys around later. Once I get my DIR setup complete, I wouldn't mind meeting you all for a dive.

Anytime you are heading out there let me know and I will see if I can swing down there. You probably talked to my buddy Rolf (the other guy with us was not DIR, but from a recreational club in DC that I hang out with - he just asked us to help him get his doubles squared away). Rolf and I took DIRF with Scott Powell at Down Under Scuba (also a Halcyon dealer). You must have been down on the dock since I don't remember meeting you, but Rolf mentioned he was talking to somebody about a DIRF class.

Sorry I missed you..

...I was just screwing around.

At no point did I say, I used the Inspiration solo or cave dive using the Inspiration

For a start the turtle wouldn't fit in where I dive caves. I use different kits for diferent dives. (A very none DIR idea)

Personally I also think that those that dive solo on a rebreather are dicing with death. On OC all the failure modes give me some warning while I'm still conscious and able to fix it. On the rebreather most mean I'm unconcious, so I take along a spare breain and body (ie a buddy) to deal with it

I agree on the solo rebreather statement you make 100%.

Hmm... just wanted to address air-sharing. Sorry don't have much to add to the answers given for the initial questions.

Oh, the triglide keepers on the back of the plate are a good idea to keep the shoulder webbing adjusted correctly. If they become loose, your rig may start shifting around.

If you're diving with a non-long hose diver, make sure you go over OOA situations in the pre-dive. Make sure they understand that YOU will be GIVING them the regulator out of your mouth.

If you're diving with a DIR team, everyone should know not to reach for anyone's reg out of their mouths. Signal and people will donate. Remember donate means YOU give.

Rescue classes actually recommend that you stay out of reach of a panicked diver. Which implies that you're responsible for giving the panicked diver your octo. As opposed to OW training where the OOA diver is taught to reach for the octo. They should stick to one concept.

Avoiding "targets" is a good idea, but the yellow cover isn't a problem. You should be able to get a different colored cover from an authorized reseller. On the backup, point the cover down. This allows you to drop your head and grab the backup with your mouth. But depending on reg, you may experience freeflow.

Sorry to hammer on the air-sharing, but it seems to be one of those gray areas.

Ken

PS - O-ring is just screwing around... I witnessed him drift scooter deco-ing with a CCR on his back... solo I might add. :D

But it was pretty neat how he got the rebreather connected to The HUB. I have never seen that done before.

Tommy

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom