More Wyndham/Sabor drama with a Sand Dollar Sports and Dive Palancar thrown in!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sand Dollar has another location just south of downtown. I feel sorry for all the SDS employees because I know they will not have the business to keep them employed with just one location.
Reef Regency still allows members to bring kids but there are signs on the beach (and I think on the walkway) stating over 18 years and over only beyond this point. I can't imagine that being enforced unless someone complains though.
As for the adults only part. It has only been in effect for a year or so and I have seen a few sets of boobs hanging out on the beach/pool areas. Thankfully I have not seen anything else "hanging out" (sorry ladies) anywhere.
Don, It looks like all but one of your questions has been answered so I will get that one. The only problems have been with monies going through the houston office and only with members of the reef club. There have been no other reports we have heard of but then again if I hadn't ran across the members website I wouldn't have known a damn thing until I was checking in at the front desk! I feel real bad for those who aren't addicted to the internet as much as I am.
("Welcome back to Cozumel Senor Jones, that will be $3000 US dollars por favor")
Oh, the clothing optional idea was floated around for a very short time. It never got beyond a rumor. I think it was just a whimsy that was shot down almost immediately. Coz being the way it is I can't imagine a clothing optional resort. Cancun, yeah, I can see that. Maybe even Playa del Carmen but not Cozumel.

Bonus info for those interested.
Cut and paste concerning the Legionaires incidents;

From January this year
--------------
Wyndham Cozumel Resort and Spa Announcement

January 12th 2011

We are aware of the CDC warning related to reported cases of Legionella
that
occurred in Wyndham Cozumel Resort and Spa with the latest reported case
in
December 2010.

Since April of 2010 when we were first advised we have taken many
corrective
measures all of which have been reported, monitored and approved by
State
and Federal government health authorities in Mexico.

In all testing results done monthly we have passed within the norms
required
for water quality. A specific test for Legionella was completed at the
end
of June 2010 and the result was negative.

Another test is currently underway as required by health authorities who
will monitor and review the results to be completed by the end of
January

Any clients who are booked with us who wish to cancel their reservations
as
a result of this information may do so without penalty.

If you have another further questions you may contact Cesar Marengo at
872 9300 ext 8001

We have had 1 case in 9 months and we have done additional work there
should
be no problem at all.

Thanks

Gavin

----------

This was posted yesterday,

Here is an e-mail I obtained from someone going down there and attachments are test results. all GOOD.

We have done all the measures requested by the CDC and the Federal authorities in Mexico, however, we were informed that this
Process is going to take some additional time.

We have worked in our water system and several tests were done, as a result, all of them were negative and there is no longer a potential risk
Of the Legionnaires disease at the hotel as per the Lab results.

However, the problem is that the CDC is requesting some additional information not reported previously to us and our management is working with the
authorities to have this done, but it seems to be a different and bureaucratic process

I am deeply sorry for not having these CDC information lifted as promised, but (believe me) is really annoying to deal with the Government authorities
Overall, I don’t think we can have the CDC cleared shortly despite we are confident that we have the cleanest water system in Cozumel

As a prove of what we have been doing, attached is a recap (in English) of the last measures done at the hotel regarding the water system

Let me know if you have any question or comment,

Milton Ocampo
Director de Ventas / Sales Director
Sabor Cozumel Resort & Spa
Aura Cozumel Grand Resort
Carretera costera sur Km. 12.9 Zona Hotelera Sur
Isla Cozumel, Quintana Roo C.P. 77600
Tel. (52) 987 87 29300 ext. 8107
Fax (52) 987 87 293 15
mocampo@auraresortscozumel.com
Sabor Resorts and Spa | Cozumel, México Aura Cozumel Grand Resort | Cozumel, México

The clothing optional / swingers idea was being sold on a few web sites. It was much more than a suggestion or idea. Depending on where you looked for information on the all new Aura you could find it listed as a 5 star adults only resort, or a "lifestyles resort". In actual fact I led a very strong internet campaign against the idea when it first hit the forum at T/A. See this message plus follow the links to others, & be aware several more got removed due to how heated they got over certain parts of the idea.

Aura Wyndham hotel issues - Cozumel Forum - TripAdvisor

I used every travel forum I could find that related to Cozumel to make sure the world knew what management was up to.

I wonder how this will efect my trip April 24-29 )o;

I wonder how this will efect my trip April 24-29 )o;
It shouldn't affect it at all unless you're diving with Sand Dollar, and even then it wouldn't change much. It's been reported that SD will still pick up at "Sabor", the resort formerly known as Wyndham.

I've been going back and forth with Sand Dollar via phone/email and they are picking up at the pier along with honoring the punch cards. While not business as usual the service appears to be. They've historically been a good dive op for us to work with and while this is a bump in the road they are seem to be handling it in a stand up manner.

Reading around it sounds like a bad situation all the way around. In the end, it doesn't change being on the island and the water :)

Based on the information here.

Regency Club, Cozumel: Houston Office not transferring funds - Cozumel Forum - TripAdvisor

The biggest effect will be on your meals.

Yet another reason why I would NEVER buy a time share! Not that I needed another reason. :no:

Why on earth would anyone ever take out a loan to buy the right to use a hotel room once in a while, when they still have to pay a useage fee, and pay for the all inclusive for each visit? :idk:

When we book our trips to CZM, the biggest part of the expense is airfare. Are these people that buy time shares actually saving money by making loan payments and paying the fees and all inclusive charges over just renting a room for a week every now and then??? :idk:

What happens if after buying the timeshare, another hurricane blows through and wipes the place out? Is there any guarantee that they'll rebuild? What options would a time share owner have in order to try and get their money back if the owners of the resort choose to take the money and run rather than rebuilding? :idk:

This was just posted on Trip Advisor, sound pretty definitive:

Looks like Sand Dollar is out - Cozumel Forum - TripAdvisor

5. Re: Looks like Sand Dollar is out
Mar 29, 2011, 12:18 PM
Official reply from Sand Dollar Sports:

Hola Todd,

Good morning and thank you for contacting Sand Dollar Sports.

Yes, it is correct as of today we are no longer the on-site Dive Operator at

Sabor/Aura Resorts. Due to a change of management, Administration did not want to

have our company operating at the resorts.

Sand Dollar Sports will operate from San Clemente pier (pier at the North of

the Hotel) picking up guests at 8:00 am that have reservations with us. If

you have any of our pre-paid cards please let me know to arrange your

reservation.

Thank you Todd and we appreciate your concern.

Have a nice day =)

Regards,

Geraldine Sandoval
Sales Assistant
sds@sanddollarsports.com
Office 52.987.872.0793

This was just posted on Trip Advisor, sound pretty definitive:

Looks like Sand Dollar is out - Cozumel Forum - TripAdvisor

5. Re: Looks like Sand Dollar is out
Mar 29, 2011, 12:18 PM
Official reply from Sand Dollar Sports:

Hola Todd,

Good morning and thank you for contacting Sand Dollar Sports.

Yes, it is correct as of today we are no longer the on-site Dive Operator at

Sabor/Aura Resorts. Due to a change of management, Administration did not want to

have our company operating at the resorts.

Sand Dollar Sports will operate from San Clemente pier (pier at the North of

the Hotel) picking up guests at 8:00 am that have reservations with us. If

you have any of our pre-paid cards please let me know to arrange your

reservation.

Thank you Todd and we appreciate your concern.

Have a nice day =)

Regards,

Geraldine Sandoval
Sales Assistant
sds@sanddollarsports.com
Office 52.987.872.0793

Funny - that's my post on Trip Advisor :)

My wife and I are going to Aura at the end of April, and I was going to use SD to do a refresher and a number of dives, while my wife was going to do a Discover Scuba, with the possibility of rolling it into a full certification.

Now I have to decide if I want to still book with Sand Dollar and wait for pick-ups, book with Dive Palancar for the ease of on site service, or go wit a completely separate third party...

Thoughts?

Sand Dollar has also confirned they are out on their facebook site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom