Morrison in cavern pic experiment 10/13/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the awesome pictures....absolutely beautiful and one of my favorite places.
Monica

Yep, I agree. You could light up the back wall area while I go down the sides lighting things up. The cavern is so big...with the camera at the other end..the cavern just kind of swallows our can lights....The cavern eats light so much...that one time when I was behind the boulder waiting for Bill's flash to go off...I didn't see the flash! I peeked over the rock and saw Bill swimming, so I knew it was time to get my strobes flashing.

Strobes are definitely the way to go. Even Glen's can light didn't make much difference in that big dark place!

Walter, even a few well placed strobe flashes could make a difference. We could position you behind the bolder and let you light up that whole area while two others swam along the walls. Every ounce of strobe light added will make things look better.

Yep, I agree. You could light up the back wall area while I go down the sides lighting things up. The cavern is so big...with the camera at the other end..the cavern just kind of swallows our can lights....The cavern eats light so much...that one time when I was behind the boulder waiting for Bill's flash to go off...I didn't see the flash! I peeked over the rock and saw Bill swimming, so I knew it was time to get my strobes flashing.

My main strobes are YS110's.. at maximum output, they recycle in about 3 seconds...so the most flashes I could do in a minute would be something around 30 - 40 flashes (15- 20 x 2)..

Don't now the amount of light that would actual get to Yoda's camera...depends on a lot of issues, including how reflective the rock is... but from the great images they have taken so far..three sets of strobes.. flashed in a log. pattern... farther means closer flashes..should be able to completely cover the cavern.

So far, strobe light tests seem to show that if you are within 10 - 20 feet of the rock it will show a light blue color. If you get within 6 feet, the color of the rock will show up. Each method has its benefit. The far away strobe lights more evenly. The close strobe gives more detail and color. The problems with the close strobe are hot spots and it's harder to cover lots of area in the exposure time. If we had more divers we could cover more wall surface but could easily stir up more silt and might catch each other in strobe crossfire.

Another option might be to use the "bulb" setting on the camera. This would give us all the time we need to strobe the whole area. It would have to be done when no light is coming in the cavern opening so that there would be no blur when the shutter button was clicked the second time and there would be no chance of an area being overexposed by ambient light.

Those pics bring a whole new perspective of the cavern....Awesome....

A little late to this party, but I've been busy the past couple of weeks!

Great photos. Let me know when there's a plan to head back to Morrison. I have a Sea&Sea strobe I can donate to the project. I also have a couple of 24w can lights coming in that should be able to light that place up with no problem, plus a few 10w's. We can place several lights throughout the cavern and have it lit up like xmas!

Oh, and Walter can now go in the cavern to help with the photography!!

Round two is after the water goes down some. We will probably have to do some tannic water dives over the winter, but flood level is a little high :).

Round two is after the water goes down some. We will probably have to do some tannic water dives over the winter, but flood level is a little high :).

I know what you mean. I was looking at the projected water levels earlier today and things are gonna stay nasty for a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom