Morrison Springs Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The hours currently are zip, its closed. Once the park opens up, I'm guessing the traditional hours will apply.

Man what a bunch of naysayers and whiners. This is definitely a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

Think of it this way - if the state hadn't purchased the property, a private property owner could have blocked access almost entirely.

As far as fees - I don't believe Walton County charges an enterance for any of its parks.

As a comparison for the parks look at the regional beach accesses provided by the County. They work hard to keep them in good condition. (Also they provide a lot of public access with free parking - where I am at now you have to pay for parking for beach access.)

However, do to the wonderful voters of this state complaining about their property taxes and voting for further homestead exemptions as well as pandering legislators, local governments are facing tough budget decisions. A lot are moving toward user fees. Since many people who use Morrison are from out of state - they should be willing to pay a user fee.

As an employee of a local government it irritates the heck out of me for all you people to bitch and complain about what is being done to the Springs. As I said this is a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

Man what a bunch of naysayers and whiners. This is definitely a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

Think of it this way - if the state hadn't purchased the property, a private property owner could have blocked access almost entirely.

As far as fees - I don't believe Walton County charges an enterance for any of its parks.

As a comparison for the parks look at the regional beach accesses provided by the County. They work hard to keep them in good condition. (Also they provide a lot of public access with free parking - where I am at now you have to pay for parking for beach access.)

However, do to the wonderful voters of this state complaining about their property taxes and voting for further homestead exemptions as well as pandering legislators, local governments are facing tough budget decisions. A lot are moving toward user fees. Since many people who use Morrison are from out of state - they should be willing to pay a user fee.

As an employee of a local government it irritates the heck out of me for all you people to bitch and complain about what is being done to the Springs. As I said this is a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

YIKES! That Shark's got a bite!!!!

Good on ya, Kira. I don't care one way or another. I'm pretty much sprung out, and am now paying over $100 for an offshore trip. Entrance fee or not won't change my mind. Now if they cut down the rope swing....Bubba's gonna go CRAZY!

well.... most of it seems like a lot of wasted money.

I think they've spent about $1.3million to essentially get a paved parking lot, a boardwalk and dock, and a new picnic pavillion and bathroom. and a boat ramp that is not in the same area.

The boat ramp is in my opinion all the site really needed. For both the divers and the boaters.

Is all they really did worth spending $1.3 million on?

well.... most of it seems like a lot of wasted money.

I think they've spent about $1.3million to essentially get a paved parking lot, a boardwalk and dock, and a new picnic pavillion and bathroom. and a boat ramp that is not in the same area.

The boat ramp is in my opinion all the site really needed. For both the divers and the boaters.

Is all they really did worth spending $1.3 million on?

They took a site that was frankly a zoo on summer weekends, and made it look like somebody cared...

$1.3million? Can't even buy a good boat for $1.3 million any more...

They took a site that was frankly a zoo on summer weekends, and made it look like somebody cared...

$1.3million? Can't even buy a good boat for $1.3 million any more...

The Zoo wil come back in force though.... I'm afraid that new look will dwindle quickly....

There will just be less jacked-up-4x4's with boats on them left in the water while out fishing though.... (since they are building a new boat ramp).

...If memory serves me correctly, that stump has been there for over a year, well before they started this project. SeaYoda may have photgraphic evidence of this in his massive repository of Yoda-pics.

I don't think there was a tree near those knees for a long while. Here is a pic from May 2005 of the same area:

kneebasin.jpg

Aug 1st is a bit of a stretch I think. They were moving some the the equipment out yesturday, but they still have a long way to go. Plus, it doesn't seem to want to stop raining on them.

Morrison Springs Construction - July 08

As for charging a fee. I wouldn't really mind, on two conditions: Park Security is provided, and the park is kept clean.

On a side note, they are laying down a LOT of grass. Will the sand underneath even support the grass?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom