Most desirable Scubapro 2nd stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Converted Pilot, D-series, 156/converted 109,A700,S600(metal),G250v
in the order of likeness.
Pilot and D series are awesome breathers and great for scootering. All metal regs are great with remedying dry mouth. All but S600 and G250 are bad when diving with GUE buddies as they freakout if the purge cover cannot be removed underwater and they freak out when seeing pilot and D series as the have no idea how to purge the thing :)

D series is pretty sweet. Sometimes I sneak one on a deco bottle when no one is lookin' :)

with the G250V, just remove the pin, no? :confused:

yes this is why I said All but :)

they are fine with both S600 and G250V:)

On the other hand I had purge button stuck on both Apeks an G250V (which both are highly regarded by tech divers) The apeks one got stuck just before the dive and g250v on deco due to sand jamming the purge. Never happened on D series

---------- Post added July 29th, 2013 at 10:15 PM ----------

Funny you said that - I just assembled a set - D400 on MK2 for my oxygen bottle

D series is pretty sweet. Sometimes I sneak one on a deco bottle when no one is lookin' :)

1) Pilot, hands down, because of the ease with which it breathes. I think it looks cool, too.
2) Air 1, because it comes close to the Pilot and is easier to maintain.
3) Any of the D-series regs, except the late model D400's because they are close to the Air 1.
4) 156 (BA) because it is rugged, reliable and easy to maintain.
5) 109 because it's close behind the 156.
6) 108 because it is rugged and easy to service.

Very interesting, looks to be an old school vs new school train of thought here. I want to thank all of you for your thoughts.

The real difference is between the center balanced poppet-coaxial exhaust valve design, which is the air1, D series, pilot to an extent, and the traditional barrel poppet design of the 109, balanced/adjustable, and G250,S600, etc.

The barrel poppet design is rugged, simple, time tested, and very familiar to service. Unfortunately as the models evolved, so did the complexity of the adjustment mechanism and balance chamber. On a practical side, the performance is excellent and any diver would be perfectly comfortable using one of these regs on any sort of dive.

The center balanced/coaxial design was IMO a great engineering accomplishment by SP and solves a few of the basic challenges in 2nd stage design in a very elegant and simple way; balancing the downstream air by simply turning the poppet itself into a balance chamber, and minimizing case fault geometry issues by having the diaphragm also act as the exhaust valve, or later on, mounting a smaller exhaust valve in the center of the diaphragm.

For someone familiar and fluent with this design, service is really very easy (except getting that dive/predive switch o-ring in) but for the many technicians baffled by the design, it was a nightmare. The performance is qualitatively better, but it's more of a feel rather than hard numbers on a breathing machine. Unfortunately, idiot-proof servicing and breathing machine numbers apparently were more important to SP, and they are in business to sell regulators, so you can't totally blame them for discontinuing the line. I've got several of them and a bag of poppets.

Had the A700 and was less than excited about it.... Switched to a G250 and went through a couple of them and kept going back to it.
The G260 was offered and I got one with a Mk17.... Sold my last 250 and now have two rigs, one the Mk17 and a Mk25/260 combo.

I have a Mk20 / G250 Crystal I'd consider selling...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom