Most Japanese don't really like whale meat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
well... it appears the Japanese fleet is killing more whales than the
Japanese consumers care to eat:

But Tokyo has a dilemma: by rapidly expanding its whale hunt, Japan now kills more of the giant mammals than its consumers care to eat.

The result is an unprecedented glut of whale meat. Prices — once about $15 a pound — are plunging, inventories are bursting, and promoters are scrambling to get Japanese to eat more whale.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060209/ap_on_re_as/japan_whale_for_sale

seems like what's going on here is that the government is promoting
and subsidizing an industry whose time has come and gone

Is it true that they serve it in school cafeterias? Seems like it would be too expensive, but I know I read that.

Edit - seems they do...how absurd. Hold your nose and eat the whale. No dessert until you finish your whale. National heritage my arse.

Saw that article just a min ago and you beat me to the punch. The description of how whale meat tastes is semi-nauseating . . . which would actually make it appropriate for school food.

"Friday Lunch. Chef's surprise: Whale steaks, Lima Bean Mash, and Tader Tots."

Hmmmmmmmm . . . . Tader Tots.

In their DNA? Hmmm.

Yeah, you guys are right... My Japanese wife is upset that we can't get to Japan this year so she can have some whale meat.

But hey, they did lose WW2, so they deserve to have their culture stepped on, right Humu???

Just in case, that was sarcasm.

Diver Dennis:
In their DNA? Hmmm.

good point, see new title

It actually sounds like the younger generation is seeing the light . Now for the chinese to see the light with shark fin soup

I don't think little Johnny will be forgetting his bag lunch at home.

Whale meatballs? What would the Italians and Swedes think?

Oh dear, how terrible...what will the poor whalers do when their industry isn't economically feasible.

Government subsidy program...? I'd sure hate to see anyone lose their job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom