Motion sickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

netwayne

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey Y'all,

Had my first bout of sea sickness while diving this past week. Made for a miserable day. Thank goodness the dives themselves were great and provided me the only relief after the onset of this. I have had a problem out in the ocean before while on fishing boats but not too often. I had taken 2 Bonine pills before this trip I am talking about probably an hour before I stepped on the boat. I did so though on an empty stomach which I'm guessing was part of the problem. The boat captain was funny and asked after the 2nd dive when everybody was back on the boat if we wanted to hang out a while or head back to shore. I promptly proceeded to turn around and give him the finger as no doubt his comment was directed at me. I love a sense of humor even in that miserable state and I think he liked my response as well. By the way, seas were 3-4 ft that day and a little diesel aroma to go with it. Looking for suggestions here. Some people said, take a pill the night before and then the morning of. The boat captain mentioned a doctor's prescription for scopolamine (transderm patch). Would love to NEVER have that experience again and also for my fellow divers to not have to listen to the wretched sounds I made while dry heaving...yikes!!

I usually take a half dose of meclizine (less drowsy Dramamine, Bonine, etc.) the night before and a normal dose the morning of the dive. If I'm doing multiple days of diving, then I just continue the full dose in the mornings.

I have noticed some side effects- If I turn my head slowly underwater, it looks like the underwater world is warped onto a curved surface.

myth busters did a segment on motion sickness.
if you havent seen it, they concluded that ginger (ginger PILLS not the hollywood stowaway!) is good for reducing/eliminating motion sickness without side effects.

of course your mileage may vary, but worth a try i imagine

I understand how you feel. I use to get queasy on boats and even sometimes while waiting on the surface if the waves were really rolling.

I can't take the medicines because they make me too sleepy.

I have been using pressure wrist bands and they really help me. You can get them at Walgreens, CVS or Walmart pharmacy. They come in pairs - put both on! Only $10. Wear them underwater with you. I just wear them under my wetsuit. Ever since I've been using them I have not been seasick.

Good luck in your next boat dive!

I
I have been using pressure wrist bands and they really help me.
A nicer person would keep this to himself, but you are probably benefitting from the placebo effect.
Ever since I've been using them I have not been seasick.
I hope this continues.

netwayne:
Had my first bout of sea sickness while diving this past week. Made for a miserable day.
Here is a link to a good article on the subject by DocVikingo:

http://www.awoosh.com/Doc Vikingo's Resource Page/Sea_sickness_remedies.htm

nothing is worse that being sea sick.... the only thing you hope is that your death would be quicker than having to suffer on the boat for any longer than necessary!!!

i avoid boats except for trips (so many shore dives in sydney i have no worries).... i start taking quells the night before and the morning off. a light brekkie of a piece of toast and for the boat i pack some home made macadania ginger biscuits (home made becasue they are FULL of real pureed ginger) AND i have a buzzy relief band thing; http://www.downunderpilotshop.com.au/ReliefBand-p-659.html its like a accupressur thing on my wrist with little buzzy electrical impusles

personally i find it takes my focus away from dying and onto the watch buzzer so that helps me

oh, and what is also VERY important is to say to the boat captian before you get on the boat, "whats your favourite drop becasue if you look after me and get me back to shore asap there will be a slab of your favourite in it for you" :D

cheers and goodluck!

I too suffer from sea sickness. I've tried lots of other stuff and now use scopace--the pill form of scopolamine. I like it better than the patch since you can choose dosage based on how bad the waves will be (2 tablets for moderate to bad seas, 1 for other situations) and it leaves your system at the end of the day. It requires a prescription, but works like nothing else I've used.

Steve

The few times I've been sick at sea, I realized I hadn't eaten anything before heading out.

When I eat a good breakfast before going out first thing in the morning, I don't get sick...

Weird eh?

The boat captain mentioned a doctor's prescription for scopolamine (transderm patch).

Go see a friend of mine, Dr. Kenneth Palestrant @ Physicians Immediate Care
1900 SE Port St Lucie Blvd
Port Saint Lucie FL 34952-5554
772-398-1588
He's a brilliant diver and doctor. I've used the patch a couple of times when the NOAA called for rough seas and found it to be a little strong. I played with until I figured out that if I put it on the night before the dive and then took it off before I actaully got onto the boat, I had less side effects (blurry vision, dry mouth). My pupils didn't dialate as badly as what I've seen others, but I still felt a bit weird from it. I've actually only been pukishly ill once and it was on a night dive, but that was enough for me ( it wasn't with the same Captain you went out with, so no smiling for me).

All the advice you've been given sounds pretty right on the money. Take in all of it, then find your own sweet spot for a puke free dive trip. :D

Best wishes & safe diving

Back
Top Bottom