Moulton or Madison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boomster

Registered
Reaction score
I gather from Google that Madison Quarry is not open this year, but what about Moulton Quarry? Can any north Alabamians help out with some info?:D

Madison Quarry was supposed to open in July this year, but it just hasn't happened yet. I haven't heard anything that supports it opening this year I'm afraid.

Come to the SEAS meeting August 9th and hopefully we'll have better info then.
We meet at Greenhills on the 2nd Thursday of each month at 6:30pm.
www.seasscuba.org

Moulton Quarry is open, but you need to call first to make sure they will be open for that weekend. They did have a website up, but it is not up any longer...

There contact info and directions is on here.http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_/Alabama_/Moulton_Quarry/index.htm

Is the betterdiver quarry in Ardmore open?

David

mike_s:
Madison Quarry was supposed to open in July this year, but it just hasn't happened yet. I haven't heard anything that supports it opening this year I'm afraid.

Come to the SEAS meeting August 9th and hopefully we'll have better info then.
We meet at Greenhills on the 2nd Thursday of each month at 6:30pm.
www.seasscuba.org

I talked to Shawn at SDI this weekend and they think that most of the road blocks are out of the way and the quarry should be open again soon. If we're lucky, we'll get a few weekends in August, September, and October.

We should hear more at the SEAS meeting.
Luke

I dive Moulton most weekends...........saturday and/or sunday. They are open every weekend for now

mike_s:
I talked to Bill this morning. He has signed the agreement for sue this past Monday and hopes to have it open for the weekend of Aug 11/12th.

more to come.

Hey, this is great. My brother-in-law lives in Madison and a trip would seem to be prudent.

Sounds like I (and maybe others) should thank SEAS and all the divers in North Alabama for making sure there is another muddy hole to jump in:D

boomster:
Hey, this is great. My brother-in-law lives in Madison and a trip would seem to be prudent.

Sounds like I (and maybe others) should thank SEAS and all the divers in North Alabama for making sure there is another muddy hole to jump in:D

Well I'd say it's more a combination of all the divers in North Alabama. The city council had a discussion about it about 2 years ago and prob 75 to 100 divers showed up and 3 TV Stations. (hmmm... I wonder who called them). Now typically Madison City Council gets maybe 5 people average at their meetings.

But overall it's Bill taking the effort to run the quarry and mess with the hassles, paperwork, insurance, etc. Without that, we'd just have a hole in the ground with a fence around it.

bigDave:
Is the betterdiver quarry in Ardmore open?

David

The Better Diver quarry in Ardmore did not work out and the other location in Decatur didn't work out either. But the good news is that we can use the Madison Quarry again starting in August!

There is also Moulton, Smith Lake and Blue Water within reasonable driving distance.

Regards,
Ltstanfo

Ltstanfo:
The Better Diver quarry in Ardmore did not work out and the other location in Decatur didn't work out either. But the good news is that we can use the Madison Quarry again starting in August!

what happened to the Better Diver quarry in Ardmore? According to what Britt told us, it was a "sure thing" he had on that quarry and some other one over near Scottsboro?

I didn't think he'd get the quarry over in Decatur. I know the people who own it and they have no interest in having a commercial dive operation intrude on their family swimming hole. They are nice folks and really use that quarry as a family place. It's a nice quarry.

Back
Top Bottom