Moving from the equator to Iowa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glidingray

Reaction score
Question:

I was certified in Bali 5 years ago. I'd dived in 5 m visibility in Jakarta bay and Sunda strait - JAVA for about a couple of years. And I've been staying in Borneo about half an hour flight from equator, have been diving in 78-80 F water 10-15 m visibility under oil rigs here for the past two and a half years. I wear 2-3 kgs weight, 1.5 mm full suit and a thin hood to protect my hair from the sun.

Now, I will move to Iowa, Des Moines. Will I be able to dive? What kind of diving available there? Do I have to buy dry suit, do I have to get other special gear or something to be able to dive there? Any budget package?

I'm actually thinking of selling my gear here, but I need second opinion before doing something drastic like giving up diving completely.

Thanks' for any advice.
Ray

PS: Forgot to tell... I've never been to United States.

Boy, talk about your changes in latitude. There isn't really much diving in Iowa to speak of. There's a quarry about two hours north of Des Moines near Mason City, another quarry in Marshalltown (about a two hour drive) and Lake Okoboji is the only Iowa lake with visibility over a foot or two. There are probably some nice lakes to the north in Minnesota. There's a water-filled mine in Missouri, but I think that's a bit of a long drive. Within a day's drive are the great lakes.

While I haven't done any diving in Iowa, I happen to be involved in some research on Iowa lakes and I've seen limnology reports on places like Okoboji. Even in the warmest months (August and September) some serious thermoclines occur at about 5m depth. There's not really anything to see underwater except some muddy brown fish (that's if there's any visibility). If you absolutely must dive in Iowa, I think you would at the very least want to cover yourself completely with 7mm neoprene if not go dry, even in summer.

Sorry to be so down on this, but Iowa's a pretty bleak place for diving. I think most divers who live around here go elsewhere for their diving. There's not a lot to do here, so it's a little easier to save up money for flying off somewhere nice. Many people also take weekend trips to Lake Michigan. I don't know much about it other than that shipwrecks seem to be the big attraction, but there are people on the board here who can tell you all about that

Anyway, there seems to be a sizeable population of Indonesian students here at Iowa State, so maybe I'll see you up here sometime! When are you moving?

I live in Davenport, IA, which is about 2 1/2 hours east of Des Moines. We did our OW dives last weekend in a quarry near Tipton, IA which is about 1 hr. 45 minutes from Des Moines. At this time of year, the water temp is about 52 degress on the surface and it was a balmy 44 degrees at 30 ft. on the dive platform where we demonstrated our skills.

My wife and I both had on 7 mil farmer johns with jackets, boots, gloves, and hoods and we were fine. Our instructor and 2 dive masters had dry suits on, but it is definitely not necessary. Although there is not a ton of things to see in this quarry, I do think it is a pretty good place to keep your skills in tune if you plan on diving on vacation. The vis. varied from as good as 20 to 25 ft. to as poor as 3 to 5 feet. (Some students were having big time problems with buoyancy and crashed into the bottom stirring all the mud and muck up).

Anyhow, it sounds like you are more into diving as a career. If you think you will continue diving in a recreational setting, I'd keep the equipment. Just don't expect to find a ton of great weekend diving in IA.

Hope this helps...

TKD

I just have to know, WHY? Hope it is for lots of money or love or both, I can't imagine moving as you say, from heaven on earth, to Iowa?:confused:

Don't sell your gear... you can dive with us any time you'd like! It's a little drive, but definately a nice weekend getaway.

Back
Top Bottom