Moving to NY (Suffern/Monroe area)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everyone!

After a long job search we are moving to the Suffern/Monroe area in January or so. I'll be working for Avon the cosmetics company. Does anyone reading this live in that general area?

What's the diving like around there? Is Long Island sound as good as people say? Are dry suits a must (if you are a normal human being)? Does anyone know of any LDS's in the area? I will need to get fills if nothing else and may even consider going the instructor route for the right shop.

Cheers!

Steve

Welcome aboard Doc! I live about 40 miles from Monroe, and actually owned a paintball store in Harriman about 1000 feet from the Woodbury Commons. Yes, if you'd like to dive here, a drysuit is a sound investment. Long Island diving rocks, and we use the Sea Turtle out of Montauk for trips up to Block Island. I don't know about any shops in the immediate Monroe area, but if you shoot up the thruway to exit 17 (Newburgh) there is a shop there somewhere. You should scoot over to www.wreckvalley.com, and introduce yourself in our forum there. We have over 200 members now, and are growing strong. Also, we usually try to get together a couple times a month, so if you're into it, we're the group for you!

Awesome! I'll head straight there!

Hope this is not too late, but I grew up in Suffern (my 21 yr old son still lives there). It's not too close to Monroe for the locals. I'm glad to hear the LI Sound rocks, because I live 10 mins from there now (Westchester County). Newly certified and looking for local diving other than Dutch Springs. Welcome to the neighborhood!

Hi Ron!

Thanks for your reply. You'll be pretty close to us almost no matter where we live! Do you know if you can dive in Greenwood Lake? (We are looking in that area for houses). I'm always looking for good people to dive with and the only way I will go to Dutch Springs is if I am really desperate...I'd rather dive in a mud puddle that I've not done before! Anyway...I'll be up that way in about 3 weeks and drop you a line then.

Take care,

Steve

You all take good care of Steve, He is a good diver & a good guy. Hate to lose someone like that from our area. But such is life.
Ill see you tonight at your moving party Steve.

Robert

Not sure Greenwood Lake is worth diving, but it is like 5 minutes from Monroe. I'd be straight up the highway from you, so when you get settled in give me a jingle.

Haven't been to Greenwood Lake in 30+ years, way before I started diving. But Dutch would only be about 90 mins from Greenwood Lake. Still looking into the Long Island Sound options. BTW, my dry suit is under repair, so I'm not diving now anyway!

RAD Diver:
You all take good care of Steve, He is a good diver & a good guy. Hate to lose someone like that from our area. But such is life.
Ill see you tonight at your moving party Steve.

Robert

Thanks Robert...you guys hear that? If you don't look after me...you'll have RAD Diver to answer to (and he's 7 feet tall and deemed too dangerous to be an NFL line backer)

I agree about Dutch. I get the season pass every year, because even going a few times it pays for its self, but I'd rather do a crappy dive that I've at least never done before. Although I may be spending a little more time there this year, since, I'm probably moving to CCR, and want to make sure I'm pretty comfortable with it before hitting the boats.

Be sure to post any dives you're doing in the sound. I love diving up there. My usual buddies up that way really didn't do much this year, so I never made it out there. We have a forum on our board just for posting upcoming dives each week.

ScottyK, where are you? I think he's avoiding all the boards, cause the Isles are in 12th?

Back
Top Bottom