Mselenaous and NetDoc do Curacao with Go West! A trip Blog...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely following your experiences! We'll be there end of April & early May for the first time. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to someone enjoying the island I lived on for 25 years. My brother is still living there and working as a GP in Punda. The birds on your photo's are a barrica geel, which translaties as yellow belly, the one in the lower photo is a trupiaal :)
For your first lesson in Papiamentoe: good morning = bon dia, good evening= bon noche.
Enjoy your stay and dives.
Try the East point and if possible the North Side at Plaja Kanoa. Some of the best dives on the island.

Thnx for taking the time to share

I am surprised by the language issues you are having. I have been going to Curacao for years (love it) and I've found most everyone speaks English. If you have a non-diving day, try the four-wheeler trip from Eric (across the street from the Seaquarium). Feeding the sharks, turtles, and rays at the Seaquarium can be fun too. And don't miss Sunshine's for dinner, awesome food and the best brownies!

The language issues are minor and not insurmountable. It's been fun trying to divine the various meanings and figuring out which language is which and how to get around. We aren't using a lot of guides or touristy places as we prefer the road less traveled.

Again, communications are a bit difficult. You have to find the right terms that the natives use. Neither of us speak Papiamentu, so we try French, Spanish and English. I asked a crossing guard for a close restaurant, and after I used the french pronunciation for the same word, his eyes light up.

I, too, am curious. A lot of U.S. travelers are English-only. It was a concern of mine when I first started traveling, but in Bonaire I rarely ran across anyone with fluency issues, and I hadn't read about it in any of the Curacao posts on the forum, either.

It would be interesting to know how often 'English only' is a hassle, if ever. As I believe you alluded to, if you interact more with locals who don't deal with tourists a lot, you're more apt to get problems.

Then again, I learned to talk in Arkansas, and I can have language issues talking to some northerners, both speaking English, so I guess the islanders do pretty well, all things considered.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom