My $70 Monster housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aLittletank

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been itching to get into doing video on my dives but the price of housings was holding me back. Then I stumbled upon this housing on Ebay that would fit (kinda) my 9 year old Sharp View Cam.

P4270026.jpg

P4270029.jpg

It was still in its original packaging with all filters and extras (even an extra o-ring) I guess it has been sitting in a warehouse all these years collecting dust because Sharp stopped making video cameras about 5 years ago.

The housing was for a different model of Sharp View Cam but with a little modification I was able to position the camera to match up with a button that will start and stop recording.

P4270032.jpg

notice the extra acrylic that raised the camera 3/4 of an inch. A longer screw was needed to reach the camera. Simple DIY project!

I swam with it in the pool tonight down to 10' with no leaks so wish me luck this weekend when I take it to a local lake for deeper testing. The manual rates the housing to 160' which is deeper than I need. The housing is way bigger than the camera needs and weighs in at a whopping 19.5lbs. The strange stabilizer fin on top can and probably will be removed, but I thought I would try a dive with it on first.

The best part about this is that if the housing floods I am only risking my 9 year old camera :D

Back
Top Bottom