My Adventure on Saturday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianS

Contributor
Reaction score
Well the wife and I planned a trip to go to Catalina so I can Dive and she can sight see. I have a Larson 235 Hampton that I purchased about 4 weeks ago from a Dealer used. The first weekend I took it out (3 weeks ago), everything seemed to go well, but as I was going no wake speed the engine started to sputter and died. We were not too far from the dock and I was able to start it back up and head towards the dock. The engine died 2-3 more times on the way to the dock and also right as I was docking as I went to reverse to slow down (nothing like challenging a newbie).

After getting the boat back on the trailer we headed back to the dealer where I explained the engine dieing as well as the belts screaming and the ignition switch turning while trying to start it.

3 days later the dealer called me and said it was ready for pickup. 2 weeks went by before we had any time to take it out again (should've taken it to a local lake to test it).

So we head out for a 1.5 hour drive to the ocean to launch for Catalina. We get there and to my surprise, was a very nice launch area (but needs more parking). We get the boat in the water and I head to the courtesy dock and wait for the wife (I practice docking a few times). She boards and we head out towards the channel.

Everything appears to be running well. We are cruising along the no wake area for about 15 mins heading out to sea. No sputter, iginition switch was replaced and belts no longer screaming. It seemed good.

The fog was a little heavy so we decide to just cruise before the breakwall for awhile until the fog lifts before we head out to sea. We get near the breakwall then all of a sudden.. sputter.. sputter.. die. My wife gives me that look like "great, stuck in the middle of the ocean". I start it back up brushing it off (so she thinks it's ok) and start to head back towards the dock area (probably 5 miles away by now). The all of a sudden a high pitch noise comes from the engine and it completely dies. Even the starter fails as well.

So now we are sitting there, floating in the sea with the fog saying "great". I drop the anchor and hail Vessel Assist. They give me a ETA of 35 mins for a tow back.

While we wait, boating rubberneckers decide it's fun to go past us at higher speeds and the wakes give us a ride for the next half hour while we wait for a tow.

The tow vessel finally arrives (I'm glad I bought Tow Insurance or I would've had to play $175/hr for the tow) and we get underway back to the dock.

After an uneventful tow, he pulls us up besides him, brings me to the dock so I can get my truck, then pulls me right onto my trailer (my props to these guys, they were definately good).

We head home, and I bring it right back to the dealer.

My lessons learned, test the boat locally after any repairs before going a long distance or plan a long trip.

Get Tow Insurance.

Glad to hear it all worked out with what seems to be minor inconvenience. I bet you're glad this didn't happen in the middle of the channel.

It'll be interesting to hear what the dealer finds out the problem seems to be.

Christian

I hope the guys at the dealership take care of you this time for all of the trouble you went through.

My experience with that was that the wall that seperates the oil cooler jackets(channels of saltwater used to keep a low temp on the oil) rusted, and water leaked through. This in turn destroyed 2 valves, probably due to lack of lubrication.

I hope they take care of you, good luck. Hopefully it wont be as serious as ours. What kind of engine is it and what did the water do to it?

Billy

It's a 5.7 Volvo Penta GS/SX. It has been back to the dealer 2 more times now due to engine issues and it died again yesterday. I brought it back again and told him to either give me a new engine or refund my money on the boat.

Crossing my fingers that it goes in my favor.

Makes it easy to understand the saying.......the two happiest days in a boat owners life is the day he buys the boat....and the day he sells the boat.

I've heard a boat is a hole in the water you throw your money into, but yikes!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom