My canister light for under $150

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beaster_scuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First off, I am not saying that everyone could make it for under $150, but I did due to advantages I have at work. It took me quite some time, on and off, to design it, but I am in the process of finishing formal drawings for reproduction. Because I am a tool maker and work in a machine shop, the majority of my materials and some components cost nothing and all the work I did myself. I used a Dewalt 18V battery from a dead drill, I just took most of the plastic casing off and reconfigured the cells to fit in my canister.
Here's a breakdown of the parts (shipping total was around $35):
53mm 5 x Cree Q3 - Kaidomain $31.38
54mm glass - Kaidomain $2.90
draw latches - McMaster Carr $27.47
cord grips - McMaster Carr $20.06
o-rings/hardware - local supplier less than $10
toggle switch/boot - Canadian Tire less than $10
PVC pipe - hardware store less than $10
Dewalt 18V drill battery/charger/case - work for free
all aluminum - work for free
cable/wire - work for free
all delrin - work for free
hose clamps - work for free
clips - had at home

I took it out for a test dive to 120ft 2 weeks ago, and it passed amazingly. The specs said that the light head was 1200 lumens at 24V, but at 18V it seemed pretty damn close to that, it was much brighter than anticipated. I had it running for over 2 hours, and it did not seem to dim at all. I still have some more testing I would like to do, which means more diving!
I included some pictures of the finished product, but it would not allow me to post some of the drawings (too big). Questions or comments welcome!

Attachments

• DSC01306.jpg
    DSC01306.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 867
  • DSC01307.jpg
    DSC01307.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 726
  • DSC01308.jpg
    DSC01308.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 718
  • DSC01309.jpg
    DSC01309.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 662
I'll give you $250 today.. you make a quick hundred bucks.
:)

That is one fine piece of engineering. Nice light, indeed.

Last edited:
That looks awesome!

With the 5 x Q3 cluster is the light beam tight or a bit floody??

I have access to a lathe and mill and know how to use them from an earlier part of my life teaching engineering apprentices...

What would be the chances of getting hold of a copy of those drawings and a parts list?? :D

Canister lights are REALLY expensive by the time they reach Australia.........

Where in Ontario do you live, I'm in London, Ontario and I'm interrested in either making one myself, so if I could get a hold of the plans or possibly purchasing one. Your design rocks, I like the fact that you were able to take apart a Dewalt battery and reconfigure and use the regular charger. If you take another piece of pvc you could put a cap on the end and mod a new housing to protect the batteries when installing in and out of the case. In the diy section of scuba board there is a design that has a cradle for pulling the batteries out. You should take some underwater pics of the beam and post it if you can. Nice work!

I'll give you $250 today.. you make a quick hundred bucks.
:)

That is one fine piece of engineering. Nice light, indeed.

I don't think I'll be selling this one anytime soon, it was just a prototype. If I do start producing them they'll cost a bit more than $250, due to the fact that the materials would not longer be free to free. Thanks for the offer though.

I don't think I'll be selling this one anytime soon, it was just a prototype. If I do start producing them they'll cost a bit more than $250, due to the fact that the materials would not longer be free to free. Thanks for the offer though.

I was only kidding you. It's a very nice light and you did a fantastic job on it.

Hey I really like your design and would really be interested in making one myself and was wondering if I could get a hold of the plans if that something you would be willing to do!

Nice job... I would get rid of the lens and have a custom (3/16") boro lens made. The DX lenses are quote crappy and I have broken them just tightening on a maglite.

Do the latches have locks. If not I would serously consider some type of lock. Could be as simple as some inner tubing around the ones you have.

It's a year later, and 350xfire was right about the lens. I was at 125ft in 36 F water on the weekend, and she imploded! It was pretty damn loud. Funny thing is, the light continued to work. So now I am on the hunt for a new lens, and am wondering where I might get a custom 3/16 boro lens at a reasonable price?
Thought I should mention too that I ended up replacing the battery with one from batteryspace, the other one was getting too unpredictable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom