My friend just got her OW and she's been diagnosed with DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went searching for a dive shop in Cancun for a friend of mine and just noticed that this thread had some questions posted.

I think she went diving again but I'm not sure. I lost touch with her. From what I remember, the doctor told her that basically the damage (internal scarring) is done and nothing could be done by the time it was all figured out.

My fried was using a new camera for her certification dive. She wasn't paying attention because she was messing with the camera.

Also, the guy who was with us (most likely not an instructor) was a friend of the instructor's. He was tasked with finishing my underwater photography course as part of my AOW, and also working with her on her certification dive. Plus, he had his own camera and he was taking pictures.

So, the following are the things that I think they did to contribute to the incident:

1. She did not have proper supervision.

2. The person with us was tasked with doing two different things, thus his focus was split. I still don't know why he was taking pictures himself. I think he said that he'd take pictures, I would also, and then we'd compare as part of the photography training. But, there was probably a better solution where he could have not been distracted by his own picture taking.

3. The person with us noticed that she popped to the surface. He allowed her to descend again.

4. After returning to the boat, no one ever checked on her for symptoms. No oxygen was administered. It wasn't even mentioned.

5. The person with us might not have even been an instructor with proper training. I don't know for sure.

My daughter got certified, and I have seen two other friends in addition to this one certified. I have definitely seen better instruction and care in my other experiences than what I experienced with this shop.

The shop owner said that they have all new staff now and that he has made an effort to be a solid shop. Things might have changed. But, I'm still not going to change my view until I see it for myself. So, I'm searching this board for the best option for my friend and his family while in Cancun.

Just curious, what did they do that you feel contributed to your friends DCS?

Hi tholden1, and thanks for the info.

Newbies & cameras are so often a risky combo. More commonly the camera gets lost, but with it distracting the newbie from diving safety - injuries are also possible. Dive shops want to sell cameras to newbie before someone else does tho, so it's a common risk.

Camera distractions still nearly hurt me after a few hundred dives tho. It can happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom