My Gear and Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you are using your reg for O2 > 40%, don't even both to O2 clean it. The only reason why Nitrox tanks are O2 cleaned, is because of Partial Pressure fills, which begin with 100% O2. Otherwise you are just waisting your money on O2 cleaned regs you don't need.

Next time you get them serviced have them O2 cleaned, if nothing for else peace of mind and it'll make a good stage bottle reg some day. In which case you will be breathing 50% O2.

adsell@seanet.com:
Next time you get them serviced have them O2 cleaned, if nothing for else peace of mind and it'll make a good stage bottle reg some day. In which case you will be breathing 50% O2.

Few things wrong with this.

After a O2 clean for actual high O2 (think 50% up) dedicate that reg to that use.

A stage reg is used on a stage bottle which contains bottom gas or possibly an intermediate gas (used to be called travel mix) on REALLY deep dives.

A deco reg will contain 50%, 100% or other mix depending on the dive profile and planning.

adsell@seanet.com:
Also, if you O2 clean your reg, you are stuck with a reg that can ONLY be used on tanks that contain O2 compatible air. With everything that has been put out, unless you are using anything above 40EAN, your reg is fine. (I have 2 regs for my Deco Bottles of 50EAN and 100%O2, and they are both O2 clean, and that is all they are used for).

Also, the last time I had it done, it was about $100 to O2 clean a reg (but I may be mistaken).

fishb0y:
Also, the last time I had it done, it was about $100 to O2 clean a reg (but I may be mistaken).

Dang, did they kiss you when they finished? That sounds a LOT high to me.
I know of one shop in Charlotte that requires you to have your regs O2 cleaned even if they are brand new, unless of course you bought them from him. He says he stores his clean. It's just his way of getting into your wallet a little more.

fishb0y:

I dropped a reg off Saturday for O2 cleaning. I didn't ask the price. :11:

Lead_carrier:
Dang, did they kiss you when they finished? That sounds a LOT high to me.
No, but they did rub my back... Like I said, its been a while, I do it myself now. I still stand by my opinion that unless it is for a deco reg, they don't need to be cleaned.

Back
Top Bottom