My images taken with a Canon G1 X

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wossa

Contributor
Reaction score
I would class myself as a complete novice photographer, more at the point and shoot end of the scale rather than knowing about F stops and ISO settings etc. I brought a Canon G1 X for a diving trip last week and then after reading al the negative reviews, wondered if I had wasted my time and money. I had searched the internet for underwater images taken with the G1 X and there are very few available.

I have to be honest, I struggled with the camera, mainly around the time it takes to focus and lock onto the subject. I found that even once it has come into focus, the slightest movement from either myself or the subject would make the camera lose focus quickly and would take a blurred picture. Maybe it was me and could of been rectified if I had a better knowledge of the camera and how the various settings works, ( I will take the time to learn).

I normally use a Canon S90 with Inon wet lenses which is very forgiving and easy to use, but when the GI X focused, the clarity of the pictures where pretty impressive and was visibily better than anything the S90 could manage. Like I say, I am a total amateur but here are just a few images that I took last week, I will post a link to the full images when I have downloaded. I hope at some stage wide angle lenses will be available for the G1 X as I am sure this would make this camera more versitile for underwater photography.

I would appreciate your thoughts......

IMG_0891.jpgIMG_0637.jpgIMG_0875.jpgIMG_0271.jpg

Don't know how many you took, but those look very nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

for a "complete novice" I'd have to say those are some striking images. any post editing? I've been using a g11 for a while and am pretty satisfied with it, being on a very reasonable price range including the canon housing and no strobes or anything yet. My main problems are the shudder lag. This might be remedied by using a different format, but I like the G11 because of the RAW capabilities... I do a lot in a custom mode i have set up for underwater shots. shoot a lot and usually a few turn out decent. but like you, i'd classify myself as an amateur. I just wanted something to capture the moment without breaking the bank for now. i usually doctor them up a bit either in iphoto or adobe lightroom, but nothing professional or fancy. maybe i'll see if i can't attach a couple here. cheers!IMG_3219.jpgIMG_3481.jpgIMG_3275.jpgIMG_3028.jpg

I'm sure the Canon G1x is capable of some spectacular images. Still, it has some issues that I wrote about in this G1X review. - Scott

Very nice Warren! Going there in August and this got me really stoked. Did you white balance any of that footage as it really retained the reds?

Very nice Warren! Going there in August and this got me really stoked. Did you white balance any of that footage as it really retained the reds?

I did manually set the WB on the photos, on the video, I just hit the record button.

Have a fab time in August, you will have a fantastic time.

Back
Top Bottom