My New Diving Nickname - Mr. ShortFill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I were you, I WOULD bring it to the attention of the dive shop. Most likely they're filling them to 3,000 and just not topping them after they've cooled down. Most times, especially if a shop respects your business, they'll be more careful about topping them once they've cooled off a bit.

But first they have to know that it's an issue for you ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Exactly. Have you discussed it with them? If you have and they still leave your short, find a new fill station, one that cares about your business.

That's the thing...

There are 3 places I go. So far, the one at my favorite diving hole does the best, I get my $7 worth out of them... they generally get the closest to 3000

Perhaps the deal is that most places fill while I wait and there's no chance to let the tanks cool down for a "top off".

I am a nice guy, I don't like to complain so I haven't really expressed my opinions to them... I think perhaps you all are right, I should.

I wish I could afford my own air fill station and just do it myself, but I can't. WAY too many diving goodies between where I am now and that happening (two dry suits, good dive lights, etc.)

the one at my favorite diving hole does the best, they generally get the closest to 3000

Lemmee see, the place that fills them is closest to where you suit up and check them.

I think you have a slow leak.

Perhaps the deal is that most places fill while I wait and there's no chance to let the tanks cool down for a "top off".

Then they would know about that and "adjust" accordingly.

You are likely the rare exception, but I have found that most people that are complaining about "short fills" are surfacing after 20 minutes or with 900 psi.

About "short tanks" that are racked at resorts....

When I go off for a week at a resort with a group and I get a tank with 2800 psi, I just take it and adjust my dive accordingly.

Many tanks at resorts are filled on Friday nights before the DM's have their time off, and when the arriving guests show up on Sundays, many of the tanks have leaked down to 2700.

Or it could just be that they really don't like you. :wink:

That's the thing...

There are 3 places I go. So far, the one at my favorite diving hole does the best, I get my $7 worth out of them... they generally get the closest to 3000

I am a nice guy, I don't like to complain so I haven't really expressed my opinions to them... I think perhaps you all are right, I should.

I wish I could afford my own air fill station and just do it myself, but I can't. WAY too many diving goodies between where I am now and that happening (two dry suits, good dive lights, etc.)

Is the shop doing anything to improve their quick fills?

That might include a water bath to cool the tanks or perhaps a fan blowing on them.

If not, you might ask them if they'd mind if you brought a fan and some damp towels to help cool your tanks while they fill.

Or you could also ask them if they'd be willing to hot-fill to 3300 psi. :D

Dave C

You are likely the rare exception, but I have found that most people that are complaining about "short fills" are surfacing after 20 minutes or with 900 psi.

About "short tanks" that are racked at resorts....

When I go off for a week at a resort with a group and I get a tank with 2800 psi, I just take it and adjust my dive accordingly.

Many tanks at resorts are filled on Friday nights before the DM's have their time off, and when the arriving guests show up on Sundays, many of the tanks have leaked down to 2700.

Or it could just be that they really don't like you. :wink:

I have multiple tanks, they are all less than 8 months old and they don't change PSI from check to check. I actually did have one that was leaking, the o-ring seal between the tank and the valve was bad. That was pretty obvious, that tank would be at like 2200 when I went to use it... so I checked them all to make sure there were no more problems like that

Just for giggles, I just checked one I had filled 3 weeks ago... it reads the same as when I checked it when it was filled, 2800. I was going to burn that tank off our last dive over the weekend, but lightning scrubbed the dive.

My second to last dive I got 58 minutes starting with 2800 PSI and ending with 600 PSI. I wasn't really very deep, but that's still not too bad for 6'3 250+ guy.

I measure short fills by what my gauge says BEFORE I start the dive... simply an FYI :)

It might be worth the conversation. I had the same problem at my shop with my HP100's. I called them on it and now my tanks are filled to 3400-ish almost every time. The lowest I have seen it since I commented on my tanks was 3200 and I was perfectly ok with that. I try to drop them off a day or more before I am going to need them so they can get a nice fill and a topper after cool down. So far the system has worked. I even got a few tanks filled for free when I was shorted. (Once got a tank back with 2500 psi, that irritated me horribly)

Now that I am managing my air better (learning to breathe in and out slowly and calmly) I always have more air than everybody but my re-breather buddy. I think he likes diving with me since I can get an hour dive in with him at the quarry before I am either bored, cold, or getting close to 500 psi.

I live in South Florida and I've found the only way to go is a primarily "fill only" shop. The one I use is Fill Express, Fill Express (and I have absolutely no association with them whatsover other than as a satisfied customer).
I find the LDS is focused on a lot of important things--retail sales, classes, repairs, trips--but not paying much attention to the tank fills. I respect their priorties, but always walk out with a short fill.
I've never left Fill Express under 3,400.

I wish I had a fill express nearby. I would love to pay for the air I used and not have to pay for the fill even if the tank is half or more filled. But alas, I don't have one of those and there are no Fill Only places here. Just not enough diving to justify such a company.

I fill my own so I can't complain if it;s short. Having Lp steels I just pump em up tp 3200 or so and let em cool to 3000. The shops I do this at have no issues with it. One I send all my students to for gear and the other has alot of tech divers so getting "good" fills is never an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom