My venture into Sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finally made my first SM dive (in my brother's pool). I definitely have more work to do, but; nothing insurmountable. Need to shorten my bungie, need a longer LP inflator and corrugated hose, slightly shorter hose for my bungied reg, tune my hose routing, and definitely lose the boots on my tanks. My brother wasn't able to get in the water with me so no pics. :( My trim felt pretty good, but I'll save affirmation for the photos from the next venture after taking care of the above small items. For my first solo venture I was pretty much pleased and happy. I think I'm gonna like this SM thing! :wink:

Yay!!! :clapping: Congratulations, Squidly One! :hugs:

What length do you currently have? The standard size they send is too long. Cave Adventurers special orders the Nomads they buy with the shorter corrugated hoses. Those hoses will stretch over time so I'd hold off on replacing that.
Hey Rob, The corrugated hose itself is 12". It's on a Hollis SMS100. I would have to be a contortionist to manually inflate it.
IMG00216-20110327-1933.jpg
You may be able to see it in this photo, it doesn't quite reach my "D" ring which is where I 'd like it to come close to.
Well, actually in this photo it does. When I'm wearing it, it is way below the "D" ring. I will put it on and measure how much more I think it should have to be easily reached.

Last edited:
That's the correct length. Stretch it and bungee it to your chest strap. I use bicycle inner tube to hold mine in place. It will stretch after about a dozen dives if you keep doing this. I've taught and mentored countless sidemount dives, including many in Hollis rigs and haven't had to change out to a longer hose yet.

That's the correct length. Stretch it and bungee it to your chest strap. I use bicycle inner tube to hold mine in place. It will stretch after about a dozen dives if you keep doing this. I've taught and mentored countless sidemount dives, including many in Hollis rigs and haven't had to change out to a longer hose yet.
I'll give that a try. Thanks! I have put 2 bands of inner tube on the straps when putting the setup together so at least I won't have to rethread the straps.

Did my second pool dive today. It went well. My brother was snorkeling and took some photos. Dropped those off at the Walmart about an hour ago. I hope they come out OK. If they do, I'll post some so maybe I can get some good ribbing, er.... I mean critique. :D

Reactions: Jax
I probably could/should post this in the Whine & Cheese, but; it's an update related to my last post. Got my pics back from Walmart and not a single one came out worth a crap. After 50+ yrs., I learned my brother (God Bless him and I love him dearly) is not a photographer. :( He was snorkeling and had the flash on and they all came out washed out, blurry, and there isn't any shots that can be used for critique. To top it off, this morning, I am fairly sure that if I didn't fracture/splinter the 4th toe on my left foot, it's at the least nicely sprained/dislocated. :shakehead: Damn it's hurting!

I probably could/should post this in the Whine & Cheese, but; it's an update related to my last post. Got my pics back from Walmart and not a single one came out worth a crap. After 50+ yrs., I learned my brother (God Bless him and I love him dearly) is not a photographer. :( He was snorkeling and had the flash on and they all came out washed out, blurry, and there isn't any shots that can be used for critique. To top it off, this morning, I am fairly sure that if I didn't fracture/splinter the 4th toe on my left foot, it's at the least nicely sprained/dislocated. :shakehead: Damn it's hurting!

Oh, no! That is too bad! Send me a ticket, I'll come take pics! :D

Oh, no! That is too bad! Send me a ticket, I'll come take pics! :D
When I told my wife the pics didn't come out, she said maybe a new/better camera was in the future. I said no, the camera though cheap; wasn't at fault.
I may just take the money and go to Vortoberfest early and let Rob see it in real life for critique. I do appreciate the offer.:)

Reactions: Jax
Well after a week of diving in Bonaire with the Nomad I have to say I am very happy with my choice. After my first day of diving, I got to a point where I was able to setup my tank straps quickly and easily. I am so used to having my tanks set up all the time and just clipping them in. I still prefer my Faber hp120s to the aluminum 80s, but you have to deal with what is there. I could have used some forward trim weight that I was not going to set up that way for a week of diving with al80s and a 3 mil wetsuit. The 60 pounds of lift that the nomad wing has is waaaaaayyyyy overkill for a wetsuit and al80s. I guess that is a place where the Razor harness would be a better choice.

Well after a week of diving in Bonaire with the Nomad I have to say I am very happy with my choice. After my first day of diving, I got to a point where I was able to setup my tank straps quickly and easily. I am so used to having my tanks set up all the time and just clipping them in. I still prefer my Faber hp120s to the aluminum 80s, but you have to deal with what is there. I could have used some forward trim weight that I was not going to set up that way for a week of diving with al80s and a 3 mil wetsuit. The 60 pounds of lift that the nomad wing has is waaaaaayyyyy overkill for a wetsuit and al80s. I guess that is a place where the Razor harness would be a better choice.

Hey, Brent, did you see the weight pockets on my shoulder straps? Just throw a weight in there, and you don't have to mess with those obstinate straps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom