Mystery at the sinkhole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vayu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My buddies and I dove catfish sink and manatee spring today. At catfish sink there is a wooden staircase and a platform from which one can enter the water. The platform was a few inches above the water and dry when we entered and exited the water for dive #1. After a surface interval of about an hour we returned to catfish sink for dive #2. The platform was now entirely submerged and the water level had risen to the first stair. The water had risen approximately 5 to 6 inches in less than an hour.

Does anyone know why something like that would happen?

This would be river dependent. If the river goes up in level,then there is a rise in basin level,although a rise of 5-6" seems improbable since the area north of there hasn't had much significant rain. You can check the Suwannee river level heights in real time on the net which would answer your question. Do you notice a significant change in flow in the system?

Due to it's fairly close proximity to the gulf, wouldn't it be influenced by tidal changes?

Tidal change makes sense. But I was there, and can confirm the half a foot rise in an hour. I was REALLY hoping it wasn't something more ominous, as my mind drifted to thoughts of Indian...

The water stayed clear though...

Wasn't there something in Revelations about the sea swelling and eating the land and all it inhabited? :11: ?

Has anyone figured out what happened yet???

Just curious

Cheers

Mike

Manatee is only a little way from the Gulf. This is normal tidal influence. Tide comes in, river backs up, Catfish Hotel backs up, Sue's Sink backs up, Friedman's backs up. Tide goes out, water drops back below the step. You've witness the most powerful space influence - the Moon!

cool.. Thanks

Cheers

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom