n00b question about cheap u/w video starter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drwendy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi! Since my camera and housing are now somewhere between the Spiegel Grove where I dropped it and Cuba where the current was heading, I'm thinking it's a sign from the sea gods to switch to video. I just want something to film the fishies with, never going to be Spielberg. Does anyone have the Kodiak zi8? Or the JVC Piscio GC? Or the Bonica? I don't want to spend more than a grand since I obviously like to drop stuff in the ocean, but I'd like to make u-tube quality videos that I could pull still frames from off my computer, hoping to get stills of fish faces instead of the usual fish-butts I get with a photo camera and not make anybody throw up when I put together a montage of my greatest fishie moments to show on TV. Any advice? Thanks!

Hey there, sorry to hear about your last camera. When diving in Galapagos nearly a decade ago, I was taking photos of a whale shark tail. Someone spooked the whale shark that must have been too close to it's eye and he did a whack of the tail and sped off at a great speed. My camera flew out of my hands and my mask off my head. I grabbed my mask, my buddy grabbed my camera. We were over 1000 feet of water and it would have been history if my buddy didn't see the entire event. Since then, I always dive with a lanyard!

I was just at the scuba sale at www.UnderwaterSports.com and the guys from Bonica were there. They have a really great system with a light that they were promoting at an unbelievable deal. I am sure if you call the Underwater Sports Seattle dive shop, they may still have them for sale. You can't beat the price and their new light is pretty amazing. The temperature is a little cool, but you already know it is not going to be Blue Planet material for the under 1000K price, but I agree that it is all about the user. When you know the system, you will be amazed at the results! I am going back to the Galapagos and just packed a lanyard! The memories are amazing. Hope this helps! I just looked up the phone number for you, 206-362-3310. I am not sure if they are still having a sale, but worth the call. Order a lanyard with your next system and don't forget to use it!

I just recently bought Ikelite + JVC FM1 camera + Ikelite Pro V8 LED light.

I never took videos or underwater photos before (well I did borrow someone's camera but that didn't get any good results).

You can see the results in 5 videos so far at YouTube - iztoku's Channel

The shaking is because of videographer :wink:

Whole set was around $700.

I ordered second light and green water filter for my quarry dives.

Can I ask where you got your setup? Was it new or used?

I currently have an old Sony camcorder (the kind that takes Hi-8 tapes). It's been a great system, but I'm ready to move to something newer, something smaller, and something that doesn't require me to keep buying tapes!

I've been looking at the Bonica Snapper...the price on eBay just dropped from about $575 to $400 for the camcorder and housing...I have some newer lights, so don't need to get more of them. Just wondering if anyone who has actually used that system has any feedback on it. I've read some reviews of it online, and they sound positive, but I'd also like to hear feedback from "real" divers as opposed to professionals. My initial thoughts are "How wrong can I go for 400 bucks?", but I'm interested in hearing about people's experiences.

I've seen some video taken with Picsio's as well online, and it looks pretty good too. Anyone have any experience with that one? Lots of reviews on this one online, too, but not many related to diving...

Just hoping to get some help in making a good decision on what to purchase. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom