NASA Tech Briefs: "Invent the Future" Contest: << Ultralight SCUBA Entry>>

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A hot water bottle pendulum by tom rose
swampfox.jpg

Yes, oxygen is available almost everywhere (but I won't mention all the sources that provide it). And once you're trained and experienced enough, one of your dive mates will tell you how and where. You can carry your tank empty on most airlines.

Great idea, It would be interesting to see it go further! Just one thing to consider, most airlines will NOT allow you to fly with an O2 tank so long as the valve is still screwed into it. Usually you have to unscrew the actual tank valve and let them inspect the inside, which is often also the case with standard SCUBA cylinders. The problem this presents is the entry of moisture into the tank, if not properly resealed and dried out by a shop this opens a whole can of worms involving corrosion and expensive repairs. Otherwise, its 6 months waiting for a permit to take a full tank on board an airliner. So on that note, the consumer would likely need to have a place to get oxygen tanks at their destination. Also, to use 100% O2, all gear would also need to be Oxygen clean, something the consumer would probably have a difficult time getting done, if they knew it had to be done at all.

One other thing to think about. At least for me, Im not sure how much faith I would have that other people would handle 100% O2 properly. We might double the number of divers, but if 50% of them are running around setting themselves and other things on fire accidentally, I think I would stick with my 16 lbs of lead. As far as being easy to get, typically medical grade oxygen requires a prescription, while aviation grade oxygen is generally difficult to come across, and breathing industrial grade oxygen can have some pretty detrimental effects on the diver. As divers, we cannot use the third, and thats why some tec divers have a hell of a time filling their O2 tanks at times.

Keep up the good work!

I hate to tell you but there is not difference between the "grades" of oxygen, they all come off the same tower. The difference is the way the flask is filled, the rules say that medical grade has a vacuum pulled first. Most outlets pull a vacuum on all fills for safety sake.

I hate to tell you but there is not difference between the "grades" of oxygen, they all come off the same tower. The difference is the way the flask is filled, the rules say that medical grade has a vacuum pulled first. Most outlets pull a vacuum on all fills for safety sake.

Thanks for saying it for me Thalassamania. :soapbox: I wasn't going to waste my breath on that subject---some folks will NEVER except the truth. Modern gas suppliers ALL get their supplies from the SAME liquified O2 tanks. I know plenty of Aviators who will back me up. They all pull a vacuum first, nobody takes a chance topping-off tanks that are partially filled anymore, even welding gas.

Jack

Great idea, It would be interesting to see it go further! Also, to use 100% O2, all gear would also need to be Oxygen clean, something the consumer would probably have a difficult time getting done, if they knew it had to be done at all.
Keep up the good work!

Thanks! The main concern for 100% O2, is making sure the high-side is absolutely clean/free of combustibles. The tank and valve, 1st stage reg, spg and hose, ALL have to be spotless. Everything on the other side 200 psi and under is not much problem unless you add fuel & an ignition source. High pressure (800-2250 + psi) tanks, valves, 1st stage regs, SPG's and hoses etc. + pure O2= a diesel engine of sorts,
where NO SPARK is necessary-----just BOOM! :nuke:The high-side must be COMPLETELY devoid of combustibles. And of course, training would be required for any rebreather. They are not to be taken lightly, and CAN kill you.

regards,
Jack

It is amazing how much misinformation there is about oxygen. I believed that crap too, until I actually went out and investigated it when I was a University Diving Safety Officer and actually had to be responsible for the effects of my pronouncements.

It is amazing how much misinformation there is about oxygen. I believed that crap too, until I actually went out and investigated it when I was a University Diving Safety Officer and actually had to be responsible for the effects of my pronouncements.

Most who make the claim of different grades are only repeating what they've been taught in class, and especially from those who sell them their oxygen. They want to make the extra dough. I found out from military aviators and military EOD divers at Ft. Benning about the reality of there being only "1". But to be honest, there are technical (laboratory grades) of some gasses, ultra-pure for chemical synthesis and electronics manufacture. They're 99.9991 % pure, but they are unbelievably expensive, hundreds/thousands of dollars a liter. And very rare. I believe standard commercial grade med/aviator/welding O2 is 99.871 % pure. And all the impurities are at much lower concentrations than are in the air you normally breathe every day. There's no BOOGIE-MAN gas in any of them. They're safe to breathe. And of course the retailer isn't going to tell you this as they enjoy doubling their money on their investment too! But they do laugh---after you pay for your medical gas and leave to go diving, and then sell it to Joe Welder for half of that. The answer is---YOU WILL NEVER CONVINCE THEM, so don't try.

Jack

well I dunno about any tech gobbledeegoop. But the IDEA of a setup not much bigger/heavier that freediving sounds fantastic to me. Science fictionish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom