Nassau Trip Review 1-13 - 1-17-2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njcfm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We took a short trip to Nassau and decided to get some diving in.

We dove with Bahama Divers first on 1/14/2010
Roscoe picked us up at our Hotel (Wyndham) and we talked the entire ride to the dive shop, Roscoe is very friendly and great to talk to. He suggested go to Goldie's at the fish fry instead of the usual Twin Brothers (We did and it was terrific and cheap) along with discussing world issues (earthquake in Haiti) and various other topics.

Roscoe was also our boat captain, we went to Miranda Wreck and Piece of Cake, both were good sites with varied life. LOTS and I do mean LOTS of Lion fish, they were everywhere, shame it is not easier to erradicate this invasive species.

The equipment was in good shape and everything worked, both dives were at our pace and were dependent on how fast we went through our tanks of air. There was no rush and it was very relaxed. We had 2 dive masters on the trips both of which were very friendly albeit a bit "touchy/feely" with the local wild life.

On 1/15/2010 we Dove with Stuart Cove, we did the shark dive.. We were picked up at our hotel and traveled to thier location (probably 40min away) Overall the one word that I can use to describe Stuart Cove's operations is "professional" The staff, the way you pay and rent your gear is all very professional. The boats are all top notch and the gear is in great shape, it is all stuart cove branded as well. Between each dive you must sign in on the boat with a DM, again very professional.

We had 4 Staff and roughly 11 or 12 divers, we did a wall/wreck dive to start.. the moment we dove into the water we saw sharks, on the first dive we saw upwards of 10 sharks a large ray and the reef was gorgeous. I had some issues with weights and bouyancy but i dealt with it and enjoyed the dive.

Our second dive was at the exact same location (surface interval was roughly 30min) there is a speech dealing with safety and the rules before anyone jumps into the water. Once everyone is suited up everyone jumps in, and the DMs position everyone on to rocks around a circle in the sand. Then the chum comes in and it is feeding time, there must have been 30+ sharks it was amazing. If you don't mind putting your life on the line and signing a waiver this dive is worth it, the sheer adrenaline from diving with 8ft sharks is awesome. Our only complaint was that it was cold, when you aren't swiming around generating heat.

Once the sharks are done feeding (probably 35-40min) we were giving the chance to search for shark teeth, I took the chance to take some pictures and my girlfriend found a sharks' tooth.

Overall it was a great trip and we enjoyed our dives with both companies albeit each one is very different.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask :D

Here are some pictures:

"Piece of cake"
IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

Wreck/Diver/Shark from our first dive with SC:
IMG_0243.JPG

Picture from the shark dive:
IMG_0295.JPG

Here is a youtube video from our shark dive:
YouTube - Caribbean Black Tip Reef Sharks

When hungry head to the fish fry and hit up Goldie's, the snapper, grouper, and cracked conche were all terrific!
IMG_0194.JPG

It seems that most everyone dives with stuart cove's, with only a few people diving with Bahamas Divers. I only have time to do 1 AM dive, and am not excited by the idea of sitting 45min in a bus to get to Stuart Cove's. Beyond the Lion Fish, how were the wrecks?

Are you on a cruise? You may not have time to get to Bahama Divers before their 8:30AM 2tank departure.

Paradise Charters will pick you up at the crusie pier. One Tank Dive | Paradise Dive Charters - I don't know anything about them.

Not on a cruise. Just staying at the wyndam from friday night and leaving on sunday. So its a quickie trip.

Back
Top Bottom