Natalee Holloway - Aruba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoonWrasse:
I say the 2 boys released today are still guilty.
I'm still hoping justice will be served, however it seems more likely the guilty will walk or just get a minor slap on the hand.

Still puzzling is why the Arubians refused any real help from the FBI. As I understand it, the FBI divers never get wet while down there (due to lack of cooperation from the Arubian authorities).

My guess is they don't want the World to know how badly trianed they are and how little they know.

MoonWrasse:
I say the 2 boys released today are still guilty.

I'm betting that now the two boys they released today are out of jail that
van der Sloot (or however you say his name) will start "singing" some
and give up some of what was going on since he's not the person that
they are going to place all the blame on.

ORANJESTAD, Aruba (CNN) -- The FBI and Aruban authorities plan to test strands of blond hair found on a piece of duct tape to see if it belongs to Natalee Holloway, a missing Alabama teenager, a law enforcement source told CNN.

A park ranger found the tape Sunday on Turtle Beach and turned it over to authorities, the source said.

Aruban investigators were sending a sample to a lab in the Netherlands and shared it with the FBI. It was not known when the hair would be sent to the FBI's crime lab in Quantico, Virginia.

One of the goals of the tests will be to determine if the hair is that of Natalee Holloway, the blond 18-year-old who has been missing since May 30.

It is not known how large the piece of tape is, or how much hair was found on it. The hair was described as blond.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/07/18/aruba.missing/index.html

:(
This is really sad. I cannot believe they let Van Der Sloot and his friends go. They just looked guilty.

CSD1129:
:(
This is really sad. I cannot believe they let Van Der Sloot and his friends go. They just looked guilty.
They haven’t released Van der Sloot, only his friends. Remember that all of them have spent much more time in jail without charges or evidence than could have possibly occurred under the US legal system.

Bill51:
They haven’t released Van der Sloot, only his friends. Remember that all of them have spent much more time in jail without charges or evidence than could have possibly occurred under the US legal system.

Remember though... it's not "our" legal system, but theres, based on Dutch law.

There was evidence enough to hold them for X amount of time. Otherwise they have to let them go. They can't hold them for no reason.

I think that if the US could hold people once they have evidence, that it sure would deter crime more. However, in the US, I'm afraid the police would use this as an abuse of power very easily.

mike_s:
Remember though... it's not "our" legal system, but theres, based on Dutch law.

There was evidence enough to hold them for X amount of time. Otherwise they have to let them go. They can't hold them for no reason.

I think that if the US could hold people once they have evidence, that it sure would deter crime more. However, in the US, I'm afraid the police would use this as an abuse of power very easily.

Personally I really think the investigation got screwed up when they let the suspects go for 9 days before taking them back into custody. I mean in 9 days these guys (if guilty) could have gotten rid of A LOT of evidence.

CSD1129:
Personally I really think the investigation got screwed up when they let the suspects go for 9 days before taking them back into custody. I mean in 9 days these guys (if guilty) could have gotten rid of A LOT of evidence.
Agreed, but I also wonder how much the outside pressure from the media and US government caused them to hold the first 2 suspects too long thinking they’d already solved the case.

I don't think the US Goverment has really pressured them that much. I'm sure there have been letter, memo's and phone calls, but not much the US government can really do to push them.

However, the media is another story. They are bashing the living daylights out of the island. I think if this girl had been black, hispanic, or even white and ugly, that the media wouldn't have given this much coverage. There were two black "youth" down in St Thomas for a wedding that were vicously killed and their bloody bodies left
out in "plain sight", but very little media coverage on this crime.

I agree with you to a certain level.
It really is a shame that Aruba is being bashed. It's still one of my favorite vacation spots. I've never been too fond of the media.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom