Natural rubber (latex) allergies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twobrus

New
Reaction score
My wife has natural rubber (latex) allergy. Mucosal (mouth, airways, etc.) contact with latex or rubber can produce a serious reaction while dermal (skin) contact creates only a rash. I know there are now regulators with silicon mouth pieces and silicon masks but I am not sure about the rubber regulator hoses. She has not been diving since she developed this allergy. Does anyone know if there is a non-rubber airhose alternative? Or has anyone who dives with this latex/rubber allergy found that it is safe to breathe through the rubber airhoses?

I have been doing a search on this topic. I'm hoping that someone has insight into whether breathing through rubber airhoses is a risk? Are airhoses usually made from natural latex or synthetic? Please, if anyone knows, please reply. Thanks.

Is the problem due to actual contact with the latex? That is, contact dermatitis?

My first thought is that the hoses are made from synthetic elastomer; ask the regulator manufacturers.

twobrus:
My wife has natural rubber (latex) allergy. Mucosal (mouth, airways, etc.) contact with latex or rubber can produce a serious reaction while dermal (skin) contact creates only a rash. I know there are now regulators with silicon mouth pieces and silicon masks but I am not sure about the rubber regulator hoses. She has not been diving since she developed this allergy. Does anyone know if there is a non-rubber airhose alternative? Or has anyone who dives with this latex/rubber allergy found that it is safe to breathe through the rubber airhoses?
Hi, I am allergic to latex and neoprene and have found no problem with using regulators. I use the normal hoses. I suffer the same with an itchy rash when in contact with my skin. I have not encountered inhalation problems, only that when the dentist used latex gloves it caused cold sores around my mouth where the gloves had touched and infalmation on the inside of my mouth.

I would suggest your wife try using the scuba gear above water for a while and see what happens. If nothing does get diving!!!

Good luck

Hi, as a paramedic I aquired a latex sensitivity first that has now turned into a full blown anaphalactic reaction when in contact with natural latex. I looked into this seriously when I discovered the allergy and had to change to silicone for most of my equipment. I now use Goodyear hoses on all o my equipment since they are made from Nitrile (the same material that I use for gloves at work). It is hypo-allergenic and I have yet to have a problem with one in over 800 dives. Here are the links to the high and low pressure hose information pages at Goodyear:

http://www.goodyearindustrialproduc...ialhose/view_product_detail.pl?product_ID=477

http://www.goodyearindustrialproduc...ialhose/view_product_detail.pl?product_ID=479

Hope this helps you some. Cheers.
AKF

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom