NAUI Nitrox - Bummed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bottom line, if this is officially reported NAUI will investigate and follow exactly the procedure outlined in Standards. The final resolution generally will not be disclosed unless the member is suspended or dismissed. There are many "punishments" below that from having to sign a "I was an idiot letter" to complete re training.

Well - I'd say this subject has been pretty well beaten to death.

Just a point of clarity, and as previously stated, NAUI instructors are indeed voting members of the NAUI organization and are responsible for upholding the standards set forth by the NAUI organization.

I will take any further communications with Chris off-line.

And I want to congratulate Chris and his son for their foray into the aquatic world. Take my advise - the next time you are underwater pick a square foot section of reef / bottom / rock / wreck / whatever and just relax and watch. It really is an amazing world down there.

John

I'd have to agree with John on this one and as a fellow member of NAUI I'd be pleased to offer my congratulations to Chris and his son on completing the course.

There is, however, one other thing the instructor COULD do.

I have, on 2 occasions, certified 11 year olds as "junior open water" (or whatever it's called now) after writing to NAUI as the course instructor and requesting a WAIVER of the then "age 12 requirement."

Although NAUI generally frowns on "waivers" I hope they would examine the circumstances in this case and consider issuing a certification.

Good Luck...

Maybe I'm missing something but I can not find any age restrictions in the S & P regarding the EANx course.

The AOW has an age restriction of 15 years old to get the full cert. Under 15 gets the junior cert with depth restriction and requirement to dive with an adult.

With no stipulated age restriction I would think NAUI has to issue the nitrox card since all course requirements were completed successfully by Chris's son.

JBD -

Check out the table on page 2.48 of NAUI's S&P titled "Summary of NAUI Specialty Course Policies"...

John

jbd:
Maybe I'm missing something but I can not find any age restrictions in the S & P regarding the EANx course.

The AOW has an age restriction of 15 years old to get the full cert. Under 15 gets the junior cert with depth restriction and requirement to dive with an adult.

With no stipulated age restriction I would think NAUI has to issue the nitrox card since all course requirements were completed successfully by Chris's son.

Well sure enough I was missing something. Thanks for the info. I wonder if they could have made the print any smaller.:D

Hmmmmmmmmm

The only thing the home office does is send "packets" to the LDS when they order them. They show up in the mail, you fill out the paperwork and start reading the materials, take the class, do the dives, take the test, bam certified right?

Well, REREAD all the paperwork, NO age listed.......get a card.

Age listed..... chalk it up to a mistake and get a refund.

The age thing is a POLICY not a LAW

I'm not sure how NAUI does it, but with PADI the instructor needs to send the packet back to them and the card gets issued by PADI. In fact, I never even see the cards. I have PADI mail directly to the diver.

BTW, the age thing is a RTSC recommendation accepted by quite a few agencies.

Thanks jbd and JohnnyH for claryfing the NAUI requirements.

Knowing this, I'm satisfied with the situation, I'd like to let the whole issue drop.

For those who said they would take the issue up with NAUI privately, please don't. I feel this was an innocent mistake, it didn't put my kid in any kind of jeopardy. I have a very good relationship with the LDS, even though I bought most of my equipment from another LDS just up the street.

My Son got the education, passed the required tests, he'll just go back when he's 15 and redo it if we feel the need for it.

This hasn't put him of scuba one iota, he still wants to do all the courses and become an instructor. In the infamous words of a 13 year old. "It'll be cool daddy, I'll be able to scuba for free, teach other folks, get paid, plus I think it'll be a bit of a chick magnet".

Now we are just going to dive, dive dive.

Thanks all.

Dive-aholic:
I'm not sure how NAUI does it, but with PADI the instructor needs to send the packet back to them and the card gets issued by PADI. In fact, I never even see the cards. I have PADI mail directly to the diver.

BTW, the age thing is a RTSC recommendation accepted by quite a few agencies.
I do alll my (NAUI) certifications online. The student fills out a student record folder, which includes (among other information) their birth date. When you apply for the certification, you include that information. It's a simple matter for the software to track the age, based on birthdate, against the age requirement for the certification you're applying for and flag any discrepency.

I'd be surprised if this isn't how the mistake got caught.

BTW Chris - I admire your attitude ... and your son's.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom