NAUI Sidemount Reg Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ahhh, and there you can see where their tech program was written by GUE guys..... :)

Too funny. Although NAUI tech and GUE are similar, Its not because the GUE guys wrote the NAUI tech program. Its because NAUI, IANTD, TDI, GUE and UTD basically branched out of the same core group of tech divers/Instructors. Each had seperate philosophies on how to teach, market and dive, therefore there are different agencies teaching the same core system with different methods.

If you had to group the philosophies together, I would say that there are 3 different groups:

GUE/UTD/NAUI

TDI/IANTD

PADI

Groups 1 and 2 are the closest in relation in my opinion.

The guys that wrote the naui books were of that GUE mentality and I think some of the authers were either former WKPP or GUE guys, can't remember, same with UTD obviously. Slight difference of opinion, but same basic foundation. I'm for it, but it eats me up every time I see the NTEC paper that says
" (The hard backplate is highly recommended, and students who choose to use a soft harness are to be advised that a hard-plate system is far more stable and secure.) "

Good lord does that rile me up. Other than that I think it's fine, but that one statement could have been left out.

I agree. The DIR mentality is very obvious in the NAUI program. What baffles me is that a soft harness is allowed via the standards, but i cant remember seeing a soft harness with continuos webbing...which is also in the NTEC standards.

Its in the NTEC Manual....It is not mentioned in the 2010 NTEC handout.

It would really be more important to understand WHY there are different sm configurations, than to know one config perfectly. Example: Harder to monitor gases when both regs are on the same side. Having both regs on the same side may have some benefits, too. Don't wait for the Truth to be told to you, but THINK.

There are two possibilities:

1. both regulator hoses come from the right (over the shoulder or under the arm but from right hand side).

2. one reg on the right and one on the left. Easier to match spg to reg. In this setup only the longhose (if used) runs around the neck.

Back
Top Bottom