Nautical Knots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... Sheep bend, ...
Not to pick nits, but that should be sheet bend (probably just a typo). Your description of the usage and method is accurate (tying two ropes of unequal diameter, rabbit under the limb, etc).

Someone mentioned the alpine butterfly, which is an excellent knot for creating a secure (but easily removable) loop on a bight. I have also found the tautline hitch to be a particularly useful knot for lots of things. The fisherman's knot is also a good one to use in certain situations.

It's always good to know how to tie some different kinds of knots - I don't know why, but people seem to be impressed when you can do that sort of thing. :)

As others have noted, the basics are

sheet bend
bowline
half hitches

It is very useful to also be able to tie the bowline in a line where you have passed the line around a pole or railing that you are facing, and then want to complete the loop. If there isn't any strain on the line you could of course turn your body around 180 degrees and tie it the normal way, but it is a lot easier if you learn the trick of starting with an overhand knot and then capsizing it.

The one other knot I frequently use, particularly with light lines and cords is the buntline hitch. A very simple, small knot that is extremely secure. So secure in fact, that you often have to cut the knot rather than untie it. Good for things like tieing a cord to the ring on a boltsnap.

After learning the sheet bend, also learn the double sheet bend. Good when one line is much smaller than the other.

Charlie Allen

All of the knots mentioned so far require a working end. I would also recommend learning some you can tie in the bight, such as an alpine butterfly and a constrictor knot. You can also tie a clove hitch in the bight, a bowline in the bight. Also learn a truckers hitch so that you can general additional purchase when strapping down gear.

The rope link added by Texdiveguy is a great site. Interesting how the same 5 knots show up on all the different rope diciplines... great list guys.

DIR-ATLANTA >>It's always good to know how to tie some different kinds of knots - I don't know why, but people seem to be impressed when you can do that sort of thing.
icosm14.gif

Thats because its scary when you realize how many ppl cant do that sort of thing.

Clay

And please remember; ROPE is made out of WIRE; what is being talked about here is LINE. :no
Watch out for the old USN Deck Apes, a slip like that could have you going in for an ear transplant! :eyebrow:

And it's anchor rode not anchor line. Didn't ya just love them bosun mates.

Back
Top Bottom