Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquabluegreg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Nautilus Belle Ami
July 4, 2020
Save $1,000
upload_2020-6-17_10-38-18.jpeg

Get back to diving. Mexico will be open soon and you can get a berth on the Belle Ami to the Socorro Islands with a $1,000 discount. 8 nights and 9 days for $2295. Ask for our agent discount.

that's for next year?

Yep, it says July 4, 2021.

I just heard this morning that Border closures by road were extended until July 21st but air travel is OPEN between USA and Mexico. I have a trip on Nautilus Belle Amie for July 21-26, 2020. So that day we are supposed to drive from San Diego to a port in Mexico, where the liveaboard will be docking. Since that's not going to happen, I rescheduled my trip to 2021.

Sorry folks, I made the "fat thumb" error. This trip is for is 2020, not 2021 as the title read.

If you are concerned about tax on camera housings, there is a discussion to be had at the border that will usually get the border inspectors to understand that the tax should not be applied to the housings. I have folks on the Rocio del Mar that have had no problems.

Hi Guys - you can't always believe everything you read online but I suspect if all goes well and borders are open July 21 and flights are permitted to continue to operate as they currently are - the first dates will be as follows as announced yesterday to us - however bear in mind that it can all change if Mexico changes its mind.

UPDATE; June 16th, 2020. Border closures by road were extended this morning until July 21st but air travel is OPEN between USA and Mexico. We know this for sure because we have been flying in and out of Cabo. The port of Cabo San Lucas partially reopened yesterday, June 15th. The parks and marine biosphere reserves in Mexico are not yet open. We are optimistic that we will be able to resume Socorro trips in early July and open our Guadalupe great white shark season later in July.

Socorro
9 days, 8 nights. Nautilus Belle Amie.
  • Boarding Wednesday July 8th and disembarking Thursday July 16th.
  • US$2195 which is a savings of almost $1000 on stateroom accommodation!

Baja adventure. Cabo San Lucas to Ensenada/San Diego. Diving the very best of the Pacific side including Rocas Alijos, San Benito and Cedros.
9 days, 8 nights. Nautilus Belle Amie.
  • Boarding in Cabo on Thursday July 16th and disembarking Ensenada with transfers to San Diego on Friday July 24th.
US$1795 for stateroom accommodation which saves you more than $1000 over regular pricing.

Sea of Cortez adventure Aug 20-28. Cabo San Lucas north to Bahia de Los Angeles with transfers to Ensenada/San Diego. Some of the many highlights on this trip include San Pedro Martir - the gem of the Sea of Cortes - and Bahia de Los Angeles with loads of whale sharks
  • August 20th board and disembark August 28th. 8 nights. 9 days. Nautilus Gallant Lady and 32 foot high speed RHiB dive boat.
  • US$2195 which is a savings of over $1000 on this trip.
NOTE ; this is a soft opening. The yacht will be well tested and sea trialed but this is the first charter after shipyard refit, overhaul and refurbishment.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Dominick Macan
Dive Advice Travel
dom@diveadvice.com
www.diveadvice.com
Tel: +33 492 94 02 99 (France)

http://www.diveadvice.com/liveaboard-availability … for up-to-date liveaboard availability worldwide

"In Partnership with Amazing Adventures Travel of Mill Valley, California"

Reactions: Dan
Would love this, but they lost me when they started taxing camera housings at the airport.
From the feedback we have got from a few clients, this was a scam perpetuated by a small number of Mexican customs officers who were trying to make something on the side. I am not sure that this still happens as we have not had word back that it was continuing but here is what we suggest and we will send you a letter in Spanish with your final documents.

Unfortunately, we have received recent reports of isolated incidents where guests have been charged taxes for bringing their camera housings into Mexico. This is a transgression of your rights as an international passenger and a violation of both Mexican and international law. The company is investigating this, and in the meantime, we would like to provide you with this information to help improve your experience at Mexican customs.

As an international passenger, you are entitled to bring without paying taxes, two cameras or video recording devices, and their accessories. An underwater housing unit is a camera accessory which fits your camera and allows control and usage of the device while diving. As the housing can only be functional when used with your camera, it should be considered a part of your “two cameras with their accessories” luggage allowance.

What should I do if the customs agents are trying to tax me for my housing?

1. Do not worry about your camera housing if you have not been approached by a customs agent or officer about it. 2. Bring documentation for the camera and housing. (examples: manuals, receipts, technical information, etc.) 3. You are entitled to ask for information and for a transcription of your rights as an international passenger. 4. If you encounter a customs officer who does not consider your camera housing an accessory, remain calm and try to explain to the customs officer that your camera housing is merely an accessory, and therefore tax free under Mexican Customs Law. Provide your devices’ documentations and manuals. 5. Ask the custom agent or officer to please provide written explanation of the classification method used to classify your housing as something different than your camera’s accessory. 6. If you are not successful, you may ask to please speak to a supervisor. 7. If you feel your rights are being violated, you are entitled to file a complaint against the officer on site, just ask to be referred to someone within the Public Function Office (Secretaría de la Funcion Pública). We strongly recommend you remain calm and speak to Mexican authorities with respect. 8. If your attempts have been unsuccessful and you are asked to pay taxes, ask the officer in charge to please print a detailed account of the taxes you will be paying and the classification method they used to classify the goods that are being taxed. 9. Pay under protest - when paying, ask the cashier and customs officer to acknowledge in writing that you have paid under protest. 10. Contact guest services, we will do our best to assist you and try to resolve the inconvenience. W

Please follow this link to print our Spanish document to present to the Customs Officials - for use ONLY in the event of issues pertaining to your camera housing at Mexico Customs. Please note that the letter is specific to camera housings and will not be relevant to any other items brought through customs.

Dominick Macan
Dive Advice Travel
dom@diveadvice.com
www.diveadvice.com
Tel: +33 492 94 02 99 (France)

http://www.diveadvice.com/liveaboard-availability … for up-to-date liveaboard availability worldwide

"In Partnership with Amazing Adventures Travel of Mill Valley, California"

My apologies to the forum. I have conflicting rates and dates on this trip that were provided by third party newsletters. The newsletters I received were in conflict with what is published on the Nautilus website with the Nautilus dates starting on July 8, not July 4. And the rates on the Nautilus website are $2195 not $2295 as shown in the third party newsletters. I should have confirmed this info and did not. Once I get the correct scoops from Nautilus, I will revise the offer. Plus I will add an additional discount for any interested parties.

My thanks to Dom for posting the information related to the UW camera housings that is available on the Nautilus website. In short, strobes, strobe arms, lenses, and other parts are considered camera accessories and not taxed under the dubious border provision. The border guys seem to believe a housing is an independent functioning device. If stopped, the thought is to get them to understand the housing is also a required accessory. I have had divers on the Nautilus ships and Rocio del Mar who have had no problems.

Oddly enough it is not just Mexico that pulls these stunts. I had a personally owned mask shipped from San Diego to Canada and United Parcel Service (UPS) improperly charged me entry duty equal to the original cost of the mask. I fought them long and hard, even showing them the original packaging and purchase invoice, refusing to pay them. UPS simply told me "pay up or we take you to collection." Needless to say I never use UPS.

Back
Top Bottom