Navy to search for Arrow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uwhooligan

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Navy to search for Avro Arrow scale models
Last Updated Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:39:53
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/06/25/canada/avrohunt_040625

TORONTO - Two Canadian warships equipped with high-tech scanners and specially trained divers will begin a search of Lake Ontario for nine scale models of the famed Avro Arrow early next month.

Navy spokesperson Mike Bonin admits it will be like looking for a needle in the haystack.

The models, three-metres long with a two-metre wingspan, are exact replicas of the Arrow, the technologically advanced fighter plane developed in Canada in the 1950s that became a national legend.

The scale models were launched on rockets over the lake during the plane's development to provide flight engineers with technical data.

All nine models crashed into the lake, as expected, and sank to depths of up to 244 metres and would now be obscured by decades of silt.

Aviation enthusiasts and conservation groups have been searching for the lost models ever since. In 1999, two of them were located, but the searchers didn't have required permits.

Arrow fans, who believe the jet could have propelled Canada to the forefront of the aviation industry, have mixed emotions about the fact the Canadian military is now taking a lead role.

Author and enthusiast Palmiro Campagna called the navy's search an attempt to right the wrong.

Prime Minister John Diefenbaker abruptly cancelled the Avro program in 1958, citing spiralling costs. More than 14,000 workers were laid off and all Avro Arrow prototypes were destroyed.

Written by CBC News Online staff

Also - From 1999

Avro Arrow model found in Lake Ontario
Last Updated Tue Jun 22 08:49:33 1999
BRIGHTON, ONTARIO - A test model of Canada's most famous aircraft has been discovered on the bottom of Lake Ontario.

The first flight of the Avro Arrow prototype took place on March 25, 1958. Less than a year later, the entire project was scrapped by the Diefenbaker government. Its development was viewed as too costly. The government ordered the prototypes destroyed.

One of the Arrow prototypes in Lake Ontario
Aviation conservation groups such as the Aerospace Heritage Foundation of Canada have been scouring the bottom of Lake Ontario looking for the models ever since.

Dave Gartshore found one of the nine scale models that was fired into the lake some 40 years ago. But a permit is required to search for the Avro models, something Gartshore does not have.

Bob Saunders found a second model a few days after Gartshore. He says a permit should be required for such a search.

"The fact that someone was doing it improperly is a fact the ministry has to address," Saunders says.

Despite his lack of permit, Gartshore feels that he has accomplished something worthy of recognition.

"I feel I do deserve a bit of recognition for finding the first confirmed Avro Arrow model," Gartshore says, "I don't want it. I said all along it's going to the Trenton Museum."

In the eyes of many Canadians like Gartshore, a museum is an ideal location for the models. The Avro Arrow was more than just a plane. It became a symbol of Canadian excellence long after its demise because of its advanced technical innovations.

Nine test models of the fighter jet have endured, and there are seven left to be found on the bottom of Lake Ontario.

I just found out that my neighbour's brother was brought in from Halifax.
He is in the Navy and is now anchored in Kingston on a Canadian Mine Sweeper. His team has been given the task of locating the two (maybe three) AVRO ARROWS using "side scan sonar". They will be also looking for some other wrecks in the Kingston area, yet uncharted. He they also believe there is a tank from WWII there to be found.

I am having dinner with them tonight, may be interesting ...

This sounds interesting and exciting for anyone interested in the history of aviation in Canada.

Do keep us informed how things progress.

Yad Yada Yada, I don't want my Tax dollars wasted looking for what would be now a rusted out old frame. I would much rather have tax dollars spent producing a full size replica of her for all to view.

Ontario Diver:
Yad Yada Yada, I don't want my Tax dollars wasted looking for what would be now a rusted out old frame. I would much rather have tax dollars spent producing a full size replica of her for all to view.

I agree with ya OD but this posting to Kingston is better than their last one.

During Hurricane Juan that hit Halifax, they were deployed with hatchets to clear up fallen trees in the city parks.

(Now that is a waste of their time and talent).

Besides, if they find some WWII tanks in the Kingston area, it would be a neat dive for the locals.

Toronto Aerospace Museum has been constructing a fullsize Arrow replica for 5 years now without any (or at least very little) taxpayers money. They're about 60% complete so far.
Its located at former CFB Downsview on the other side of the runway from DRDC (aka DCIEM)

Ontario Diver:

Kevin Ripley:
Right up there with deploying the Army to Toronto to shovel snow.

Does that mean you'd rather volunteer?

Back
Top Bottom