Navy to search for Arrow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblemaker_ontario:
During Hurricane Juan that hit Halifax, they were deployed with hatchets to clear up fallen trees in the city parks.

(Now that is a waste of their time and talent).
At least its productive and helpful. It beats getting shot at, and its cheaper than fighting a war in another country that don't want us there anyway...

sparky30:
At least its productive and helpful. It beats getting shot at, and its cheaper than fighting a war in another country that don't want us there anyway...

Sparky, you misunderstood....

The guys were really demoralized by this posting, the fact that they were issued “hatchets” ( Some went home and got their own chainsaws. ) They said that the should have at least been assigned to clearing trees from the streets so that hydro could be restored. (not clearing city parks)

Bubblemaker_ontario:
Sparky, you misunderstood....

The guys were really demoralized by this posting, the fact that they were issued “hatchets” ( Some went home and got their own chainsaws. ) They said that the should have at least been assigned to clearing trees from the streets so that hydro could be restored. (not clearing city parks)
I did misunderstand.. sorry..my mistake.. you are right.. clearing streets would have been better than parks.. why would someone even worry about parks? I guess one would have to work for the government to understand that one..

aquaoren:
Isn't it still better than having to shoot at someone or being shot at ?

If I was required to shoot someone in defense on my (percieved) freedom I don't think I would balk at the task.

Of course there are better ways to deal with things and we as a country spend a lot of time and money trying to teach others how to play nice in the sandbox. It doesn't always work though.

Although I wouldn't want an oversized invasion force like the US I still, as a taxpayer, would prefer to have a moderate size and more importantly WELL TRAINED defense force in place.

Perhaps they should have the police clean the snow or parks and task the army with stopping looters. There would be a lot less future looters that's for sure. :D

I agree on the idea well trained and equipped defense force thou I'm not adverse to using the services in times of crisis. We dont need 100s of main battle tanks but state of the art SAR equipment (ie new choppers) and the ability to transport our own troops would be a start.
As for looters, during the Great T.O. snowjob few years ago, the armoury, where the Petawawa soldiers were temporarily barracked in Toronto, roof leaked. A 3 am call was dispatched to the contracted locksmith (who happens to be my father in law) to make an impromptu armoury else where on the base. I'm told the army always travels with its smallarms (I know we have some present members who can probably clarify that), but it does make one wonder why C7's (aka M-16s) were required to shovel snow in downtown Toronto...

d33ps1x:
If I was required to shoot someone in defense on my (percieved) freedom I don't think I would balk at the task.

Of course there are better ways to deal with things and we as a country spend a lot of time and money trying to teach others how to play nice in the sandbox. It doesn't always work though.

Although I wouldn't want an oversized invasion force like the US I still, as a taxpayer, would prefer to have a moderate size and more importantly WELL TRAINED defense force in place.

Perhaps they should have the police clean the snow or parks and task the army with stopping looters. There would be a lot less future looters that's for sure. :D

d33ps1x:

As someone who grew up in Israel, I am very well aware of things that may be required to protect your freedom.
As to your other statements, I agree that if you have a military, than it should be well trained and equiped but it should be kept out of the daily civil live as much as possible.
What I want to say is: The police should be policing and the army can be requested to help in emergency situation. I think they should be staying with clearing streets and similar tasks.
The separation of State and military is one of the basic rules of democracy and shouldn't be changed otherwise we'll wake up one day and soldiers on the streets will be a daily routine and our precious freedom is gone.
And yes, you can teach somebody to play nice only if they are willing to listen :wink:

Does anyone know if the Navy found anything regarding the other seven arrow models?

They were sweeping the area with side scan sonar.... the experts need to decipher the scans to see if anything looks suspicious. Then they will lower remote controlled cameras to have a peek. Then navy divers will attach markers and the recovery will be in the fall ( so I have been told ) .

Navy found what appears to be a "well preserved schooner" yesterday while looking for the models. As far as I found so far, they won't release the coodinates yet...
Oh.. and they also found a booster rocket that was used to launch the models. Sounds promising!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom