Near drowning - Lake Union, Washington

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I have always been a klutz diver and have survived many dumb incidents but I always keep in mind that ditching weights is better than sinking. I always practice ditching on the first dive of any trip. An injured diver on the surface has better chances than a drowned one on the floor.

SEATTLE — A diver is fighting for his life after nearly drowning in Lake Union.

Firefighters told us just before 7 p.m., two divers in South Lake Union surfaced because one of them was having equipment issues.

But not long after, that diver started sinking.

He was quickly pulled up by his partner and a couple of paddleboarders helped bring him to shore.

From there, paramedics rushed the 33-year-year-old man to Harborview where he remains in serious condition.

I have always been a klutz diver and have survived many dumb incidents but I always keep in mind that ditching weights is better than sinking. I always practice ditching on the first dive of any trip. An injured diver on the surface has better chances than a drowned one on the floor.

Amen to that.

I hope the diver recovers. But afaik, diving isn't allowed in Lake Union without a permit. Someone local can confirm? @rjack321?

I hope the diver recovers. But afaik, diving isn't allowed in Lake Union without a permit. Someone local can confirm? @rjack321?
Yes, Seattle municipal code 16.28.020 specifically names Lake Union as an area where a permit from Seattle Police is required to dive.

It should be noted that this incident was from August, though I have not heard any information on whether the diver recovered or not.

Yes, Seattle municipal code 16.28.020 specifically names Lake Union as an area where a permit from Seattle Police is required to dive.

I need to add that to my dive planning doc for advising readers to check local laws on potential dive sites that may actually be off limits. Thanks for the clarification Doug!

I need to add that to my dive planning doc for advising readers to check local laws on potential dive sites that may actually be off limits. Thanks for the clarification Doug!
Yeah, there is a wreck on the side-scan survey of Lake Union just off the southwest shore of Gasworks Park (ironically near the Seattle Police dock) that I've considered trying to get a permit to dive from Gasworks. Hasn't reached the top of my list yet.

yes but its like solo diving or using a scooter at Edmonds... you have to be actively stupid to get a ticket

yes but its like solo diving or using a scooter at Edmonds... you have to be actively stupid to get a ticket

Wait what? No scooters at Edmonds? Or am I misunderstanding.

g2:
Wait what? No scooters at Edmonds? Or am I misunderstanding.
That is correct. Bruce says no.

Diving on the Irene within spitting distance of the Seattle Police dock may be a bit flagrant, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom