Nearby Drysuit Rentals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

feldomatic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Does anyone know of a dive shop that trains at Lake Phoenix (or anywhere ~5hrs of Va Beach) that will rent a drysuit along with the course?

My 3 LDS's don't rent them, and I get the business reason against it in this area, but it seems like a bit of an expense to go into blindly.

Also the folks i know who have them are all much shorter than me, so borrowing is out.

Does anyone know of a dive shop that trains at Lake Phoenix (or anywhere ~5hrs of Va Beach) that will rent a drysuit along with the course?

My 3 LDS's don't rent them, and I get the business reason against it in this area, but it seems like a bit of an expense to go into blindly.

Also the folks i know who have them are all much shorter than me, so borrowing is out.
check blue planet in DC they had a line of white drysuits

When I did my CCR training with Coral Edge Adventures in Northern VA I was able to use one of their drysuits since the quarry (Millbrook) was coooold.

You might of hit it on the head though, most LDS probably avoid renting them due to the expense of keeping a ton of sizes, everyone needing a custom fit, and they can be a bit fragile. Plus there probably isn't that much of a demand in the region due to lack of dive sites? I assume you checked with both Dive Quarters and Lynnhaven.

I bought my Scubapro here on Scubaboard. Got lucky, it's pretty nice. The seller was roughly my size. Took a while waiting for it to show up though. I have only dove it maybe 8 times at Lake Phoenix and threads are hanging off already and such.

www.Seaskin.co.uk is the answer to your problems...

While I appreciate the cult of economy that's sprung up around them, if I buy one of these I pretty much miss this winter on account of lead time.

Also how would this help with my conundrum of wanting to try before I buy during the course?

Still...might be worth suffering through the winter by layering my wetsuits, renting a 7mil or some such...That price...🤑

While I appreciate the cult of economy that's sprung up around them, if I buy one of these I pretty much miss this winter on account of lead time.

Also how would this help with my conundrum of wanting to try before I buy during the course?

Still...might be worth suffering through the winter by layering my wetsuits, renting a 7mil or some such...That price...🤑
It wouldn't help right now but it will help once you've decided dry is the correct answer to cold. Dives are better. Surface interval and post dives are better. I bought mine without every trying it out and never took a class on it. Dry just makes sense when the water at depth is rarely above 55°F and often below 50°.

I’ve looked around for dry suit rental attached to a course, and Coral Edge in Catharpin is the only place I’ve found south of DC.

So it turns out I was wrong, one of my LDSs does rent for the course. If anyone comes across needing this answer later, Chesapeake Bay Diving Center in Va Beach rents Aqualung and/or DUI drysuits and will rent them for the course.

So it turns out I was wrong, one of my LDSs does rent for the course. If anyone comes across needing this answer later, Chesapeake Bay Diving Center in Va Beach rents Aqualung and/or DUI drysuits and will rent them for the course.
Now you can take the course and decide that dry is the right answer.

Very cool! Get to know them maybe they will rent you the suit after you establish relationship with them.

I used to deal with them and LDC when I lived in Norfolk/VaBeach. Did some of my courses thru CBDC (which was Dive Quarters at the time.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom